Any guess what animal left these paw prints?

Here are more photos for scale and reference. The window with the prints has always been left closed and locked from the inside unless I open it while cleaning for extra ventilation. I immediately added hardwire cloth to this window and decided to just keep it closed since there are two other large windows with hardware cloth that stay open during the day. Looks like the raccoon came back because I found the front door pulled off the frame on the bottom. I will be reenforcing that today.
Big window. Definitely raccoon.

I would still put a camera up to see what lurks especially at night. That's when most of the predators roam here, even coons. I haven't seen any in quite awhile but every now and then. Luckily they haven't bothers my birds but I do have electric wires around my coops and pens and so far nothing has gotten past them.
IMAG00011014 06.jpg

This was recently a bobcat outside my chick/grow-out coop. I'm sure it knows the electric wires are there too.
DSCF0002112 09Rev.jpg

Good! Raccoons are tenacious bastards don't give them an inch. ;)
Here are more photos for scale and reference. The window with the prints has always been left closed and locked from the inside unless I open it while cleaning for extra ventilation. I immediately added hardwire cloth to this window and decided to just keep it closed since there are two other large windows with hardware cloth that stay open during the day. Looks like the raccoon came back because I found the front door pulled off the frame on the bottom. I will be reenforcing that today.

Raccoons can get BIG here as in big enough that one of them took on our 60 pound Cattle Dog and scared the bejeezers out of him to the point that he damaged an ear trying to crawl through a window and get into the house in order to get away from it. I imagine standing upright as they can do, it would have been pretty impressive.
they sure do get big, right now my record stands at a 30 lb raccoon.

but i would say that is a raccoon only thing is don't they den up this time of year?

coon, and your lucky he didnt rip through that screen and have a chicken dinner.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this window is always kept closed and locked from the inside unless I’m cleaning the coop. I open the window for extra ventilation. That’s when I found the prints and instantly locked the window permanently shut and added hardwire cloth. We have a trap set up and hope to catch it.

they sure do get big, right now my record stands at a 30 lb raccoon.

but i would say that is a raccoon only thing is don't they den up this time of year?

Not around here they don't. I usually see them venture closer to the house and barn in the spring but if we walk down by our ponds we will find their paw prints all over the place. Some are quite large, 2 inches.

I believe they will lay low during extreme winter weather here but they don't hibernate.

Not around here they don't. I usually see them venture closer to the house and barn in the spring but if we walk down by our ponds we will find their paw prints all over the place. Some are quite large, 2 inches.

I believe they will lay low during extreme winter weather here but they don't hibernate.
ya i didn't think they hibernate. where i live its nothing to see no raccoons for months. then come spring have them every where.

Back
Top Bottom