Any guesses on gender of my orpington chicks?

jojosthings

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 15, 2013
gonna have to find homes for all the Roos soon and I think I have more boys than girls
1f60f.png
these are my 8/9 week old chicks I'm thinking all the laced ones are boys but hoping I'm wrong

And I know it's prob way too early to tell but just wondering if anyone has any hunches on these little guys. 3 week old orps Lemon cuckoo, blue splash and gold laced. We'd obviously love them too be girls
1f64f.png

You're right, your laced birds are cockerels.

As far as the chicks, I'd watch the light colored one and the one with the barring on the wings. No real defined reason, they just seem roo-ish to me.

You're right, your laced birds are cockerels.

As far as the chicks, I'd watch the light colored one and the one with the barring on the wings. No real defined reason, they just seem roo-ish to me.

So you think the brown one and the light one maybe Roos?
1f60f.png
They're the 2 I was hoping would be pullets. Oh well there's always next year!
1f609.png

So you think the brown one and the light one maybe Roos?
1f60f.png
They're the 2 I was hoping would be pullets. Oh well there's always next year!
1f609.png
The golden one looks pullet-ish to me with her slim legs and lack of comb. The light one just seems like a cockerel based on its stance and thick legs, but doesn't have any obvious signs other than my own gut feeling. Those two, I would watch and wait. However, I would bet money that the one with the barred wings is a cockerel--he's already got quite a comb on him. I can't be certain on any of them at this age, but that one I'd say is 80% a cockerel.

The golden one looks pullet-ish to me with her slim legs and lack of comb. The light one just seems like a cockerel based on its stance and thick legs, but doesn't have any obvious signs other than my own gut feeling. Those two, I would watch and wait. However, I would bet money that the one with the barred wings is a cockerel--he's already got quite a comb on him. I can't be certain on any of them at this age, but that one I'd say is 80% a cockerel.

that's the consensus on the little gold laced one, its not the biggest of the 3 but it definitely has the biggest comb!
1f60f.png
thanks for sharing your hunches
1f60a.png

This is an update pic of my suspect chick... It's 6 weeks old today and has had to come in to the house because for some unknown reason it's little chick mates have seriously damaged it by pecking it :(
The buff one looks like its s pullet and the barred chick is definitely roo! I'm thinking pullet on this little one, but is that just wishful thinking?

This is an update pic of my suspect chick... It's 6 weeks old today and has had to come in to the house because for some unknown reason it's little chick mates have seriously damaged it by pecking it
sad.png

The buff one looks like its s pullet and the barred chick is definitely roo! I'm thinking pullet on this little one, but is that just wishful thinking?
Well, I see a little redness in the comb. But its not overly red for a 6-week old. For now, I'm going to say pullet.

Back
Top Bottom