Any help for this municipal ordinance?

Quote:
Hinky makes a good point - can you post the complete regulation? Also, is there an exception carved out for farm animlas that are used for exhibition? BYCr's have reported those excpetions do occasionally appear in local regs like this.

I've always thought banty's are mostly exhibition birds myself.

Phyllis

I know I'm always saying this, but it sounds to me like it may be time to change the bylaws in your city. You already have another party to band with. I would start by contacting your city hall, and asking the people there what would the proper procedure be to start appealing for alteration of a bylaw.

Thanks for the advice everyone. And hi Kessidy! Unfortunately she and I don't live in the same state otherwise we could help each other more.
sad.png

http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/torrance/

Here is my city's codes. I also have a thread on buy/sell chickens with some of the codes listed.

I spoke to the animal control officer yesterday. I had to call the office and she wasn't in, so I asked that they have her call me back. When she did I thanked her for returning my call. She seemed really surprised I said that. lol.

I asked her if she was familiar with different types of chickens and she wasn't so I explained to her about bantams and how they are not raised as farm animals but only as pets and for show. I told her I hoped my kids could show the bantys in 4-H and at the county fair. She told me there had been a noise complaint and I agreed that I did have a noisy one and I had already started the process of finding her a new home. She suggested I put in writing my reasons for wanting to keep chickens and meanwhile she would research the muni codes and speak to her colleagues.

Immediately after our convo, I called up the local 4-H leader whose name I found on a website. Score! She also happened to be the poultry leader AND agreed to take my silver seabright -the extra noisy one.

So that's where we are. My husband is still convinced that a particular person on our block turned us in because of our political views on a certain proposition. But I guess we'll never know.

Now my lonely little OE is making a ruckus. I need mute chickens. Or louder children.
lol.png

Last edited:
Well I think you handled it perfectly! Did you see Section 41.1.6 under the animal regulations? Evidently, you can seek some kind of special permission for "unusual animals" from the Director of Building Safety.

You may have some wiggle room because chickens are never specifically named as far as I can see, although I did see 'farm-type animals". "Bovine" and "swine, hogs, pigs" are farm type animals that are specifically prohibited, but chickens are ever actually named as prohibited animals, and in fact, baby chicks can be sold as you point out.

Phyllis

Back
Top Bottom