Any help for this municipal ordinance?

tamlynn

Songster
11 Years
Nov 5, 2008
Torrance, CA
The following uses (of residential property) are unlawful and a public nuisance:

c) Keeping or maintaining farm type animals.

Can I argue that bantys are not "farm type animals?"

Oooh! That's a toughy. I think the spirit of the law the way it is written probably includes banties. I'd be interested to see the entire ordinance to get a better feeling of the intent of the reg.

Last edited:
lol! I don't think I ready for that.

My city also prohibits "unusual pets"

c) “Unusual pets” as used in this Article means any animal not including cat, dog, rabbit, hamster, guinea pig, white rat, mouse, squirrel, canary, parakeet, cockatoo, or any animal usually considered a pet, provided that farm type animals shall not be considered as pets.

Have you ever known someone who had a squirrel as a pet?

The city also permits doves and pigeons with special rules...

Thats going to be hard to argue that its not a farm animal.
hu.gif

Can't you just say they are a very rare type of pigeon? I saw some Japanese whites that looked like a cross between a pigeon and a dove! Sure didn't look like any chicken I ever saw. And some of those cochins, I swear look like a giant gerbil! Or is that silkies? I don't know which but they sure scare the beegeez out of you when they run up on you!

I vote for a very rare breed of cockatoo!! You know the free range type that flock together. Can you petition to get hens added to the list with the rats and squirrels?
idunno.gif

Yes, there is currently an issue. (we are friends)
OK, editing to add that the issue is not that we are friends. HAHA... I know because we are friends. She just got a notice on the door from animal control.
Her neighbors said that they never even knew she had chickens. She only has a few chickens, and no roosters. Both next door neighbors are fine with her having them.

Anny suggestions would be great. I have seen these babies grow up in pics. We got our babies the same time and have shared their growing up, eggs etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom