any help with my dumb questions?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChucktheChick, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Ok, new to ducks. Hopefully my questions are ok! Any help? Thanks y'all!

When do ducks start laying?

When do ducks start getting grown up feathers in?

When can you tell a boy (drake?!?) From a girl (hen?!?)

How can you tell the difference between gender?

Can I keep my chickens and ducks together?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it! :)

2. Chicken Master1

Chicken Master1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    my chicken coop
    yes, you can keep chicks and ducks together or at least I could. To tell a male from a female type in "How to tell the sex of my chicks." That will show you but I'm getting ducklings this year too and other than that thats all that i can tell you. I hope this helps.

p.s. the video you will watch might shock you at some points.​

3. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  4. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Thank you so much SD Bird Lady! As you said it is for mallards, I have a khaki Campbell, a cagya (sp?) And an anacona. Will this apply to them too?!? As I said, I am very thankful for your reply.

5. SD Bird Lady

I have Cayugas as well :) They are wonderful birds. Yes, everything will apply to all 3 of those breeds. Also, with the Khaki Campbell you will be able to tell its gender by the coloration.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Khaki Campbells, Cayugas, and Anconas are all derived from mallards.

7. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    I personally wouldn't keep ducks and chickens together, but some people do. They really have different needs and to accomodate both, I think you have to make compromises that aren't in the best interests of one or both of them.

In an ideal situation, ducks need deep enough water to dunk their whole head to clear their nares. They can get eye infections ("foamy eye") if they don't have clean water to dunk their heads, too. They make a big mess with water. Chickens should be kept in a drier environment.

There is also the disease factor to consider. Someone else on BYC recently wrote a good article about her experience with that:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/just-the-facts-avian-influenza

8. SD Bird Lady

I think keeping them together depends a lot on how many you have. I have 10 chickens with 3 ducks and havne't had problems. It is a compromise but mine are all free range so only really sleep together at night. The ducks get a baby pool, which the chickens do drink from too (they have fresh but seem to prefer the tainted duck water). They could possibly drown, but I have a pool for the kids anyway so any chicken that is going to drown in a pool doesn't need to pass on their genetics. The ducks sometimes get pooped on at night but that is nothing water won't fix. In the winter I set out a heated dog dish and they all use that ( we acutally have 3 around the yard for cat, dog, chickens, or ducks)The ducks do make a mess now and again but it is outiside for a reason. As for feed I tend to change from layer pellets to all flock depending on sales. Some will not agree on that but they eat mostly what they find roaming around and it is just to fill their bellies and possibly even out some vitamin deficiency. I always figure variety is the spice of life and by not changing their diet at all they do become sensitive to change. I also have a rooster and drake and don't want them on layer feed all the time. I have not had any problem with soft or weak shells. In the summer I also put minnows in the baby pool it is comical!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by