Any Homeschoolers going all year round????????????

tobin123

Songster
13 Years
Mar 4, 2009
fountaintown,indiana
We finished 2 weeks ago but I decided that we will be schooling all-year-round.I just haven't decided when to start the new year yet.How do schedule if you are schooling all year?I thought we would start back in a week or two.
wink.png

We are going all year. We go 5 days a week in September (with two weeks off in the middle for the fair), 4 days a week October-November when our co-op meets with a 4 day weekend for Thanksgiving, then back to 5 days a week until the middle of December (two weeks off for Christmas and New Years), January-February we do 4-5 days a week, co-op starts again in March so back to 4 days a week, May is back to 5 days a week, and June-August we go 3 days a week with a week off thrown in there somewhere depending on what is going on. Whew!

We used to school all year round and then we quit the past couple of years. I made the decision to at least do 3 days a week in the summer because by the middle of June my boys have played every video game, seen every allowed movie, built every known (and unknown) Lego creation, and have resorted to entertaining themselves by annoying each other. That and it's too hot to do much outside until later in the evening, so we will sit inside, in front of the AC and get some work done. They have other summer activities as well, and the 3 day a week schedule works with those activities too.

I also sell candles at local shows so I need to be really flexible as far as that goes summer through the Christmas season.

We do! We are pretty informal with the schedule at our house. There are some days when we can't do school or have other things planned. This allows us to work around all of the family members, etc... Also, there are so many opportunities for learning that opening it up just works better for us. Good luck!

One of mine is going year round. My13 yr old is behind due to distractions. 2 younger ones are off till Aug/sept, though the guy with dyslexia is supposed to be doing intensive phonics. I haven't decided when to start back up. I have a total of 6 kids with 4 in school. I need an extended break where I can deep clean or can or just veg. But like i said my 13 yr old is schooling thru the summer.

we just started summer break since we did a couple weeks extra this year. I will give them a couple weeks off and then we are going to do an hour or two a day until public school starts back up at which point I will no longer be homeschooling. Not sure what we will do once they go to public school again. I may have to do extra work with them to keep them at the point I am comfortable with. The kids wanna try it out public this year so I am extending my last homeschooling year till the they actually start.

We are going year round to make certain all those extra resources I splurged on actually get used!
lol.png
Plus, it keeps the two eldest busy and quiet while the three little ones take their naps. It usually works out to 2-2 1/2 hours every day. If it were up to me, they would all be sitting somewhere with their noses in books or playing outside every waking moment of the day (with meals and bathroom breaks scheduled in, too!) Anything to keep them from bickering with each other on those hot, humid days.

We will be finishing up the math that we didn't get done during the year. During the regular school year there are days where he is reading non-stop and there is no way I'm interrupting that to make him do Algebra. Our goal this year was to turn our youngest son into an avid reader, and we succeeded with a vengeance (yay!). But, that means we have some math to make up over the summer.

Only reason I'm not is because I've almost finished most of my school books. But otherwise, it will be math 2 or 3 times a week with 3 weeks off because Grandpa is visiting.

We're going to try HSing over the summer... so I copied the AISD calendar and then tweaked it...

Some holidays the same... others not so much... a week off for each kids B-day (June & August)

We're planning to start July 5th... since we are out of public until tomorrow, then DS's b-day is the 16th... and then 4th of July... seemed saner just to start when we can go straight through and get a real feel for things? It's a theory...

Anywho, here's the calendar we're hoping to stick to...

schoolcalendar20102011.jpg

Back
Top Bottom