1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

any hope for this chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by klf73, May 8, 2009.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    My 3 yo has autism and really wanted to see the chicks yesterday. He is very good with the chickens and chicks. I put the brooder in a temporary spot while I was moving things and in his excitement he accidently knocked it over. The chicks ran everywhere. I inspected them all and all seemed fine. They could all walk and looked fine. I noticed that paticular one seemed to be pulling at it's fuzz. This morning it is swollen but can still walk. It seems uncomfortable. Is there any hope for this baby [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd put some neosporin on the area where chick fuzz was lost, make certain it is hydrated and then pray.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    it keeps pulling at itself, would blukote be better or the neosporin? I am sure it is uncomfortable but would hate to cull if it is just temporarily swollen, ya know?

4. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say it's pulling the feathers because it's painful. Not sure what else to say.

Hugs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by