Any hope of new hens beginning to lay in winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicky Joy, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    I have 6 black sex link chicks that are 5 weeks old. They'll be around laying age in early January. Is there any possible way they will lay before spring? I know this is breed known for their egg laying so I was just wondering if this was possible.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think chickens will do what they darned well want to. They are supposed to slow down in the winter, but so far, mine have done nothing they are supposed to do. [​IMG]

3. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I've read there are some breeds that are hardy through winter. I hope my red stars are. They ALL lay a large brown egg every day.

4. Chicky Joy

Jun 22, 2008
    We have 8 red stars that lay very well. They've been laying since the first week of July. I'm sure they'll do ok through the winter, even if they slow down a bit we'll still get a good number of eggs. I'm very curious as to whether or not we should have any hope of expecting any eggs before spring from our chicks that will be 20 weeks old in January.

5. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Chickens' egg laying shut-off hormones are triggered by the shortening days, and they won't lay again at top production until the days lengthen again. If she is cold-hardy, however, she might lay as soon as she becomes mature if you supplement light.

6. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I supplement light with all my girls and they haven't slowed down yet.

I have one light in the coop and one in the run. So far, so good.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My girls that were hatched Oct 2, started laying I think it was Feb 9th. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  8. Chicky Joy

Jun 22, 2008
    Quote:That's encouraging news. [​IMG]

What breed? Did you do anything to encourage that (lighting etc...)?

9. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My Buff Orpingtons started laying in November last year at 5.5 months and laid all through the winter. They are a winter-hardy breed though, so it doesn't seem to matter to them what temp it was. They did slow down when it got REALLy cold.

10. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:Did you use artificial lighting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by