Any hope of new hens beginning to lay in winter?

From what I've read Black Stars, and Red Stars, are supposed to be pretty winter hardy birds. Anybody have either of these breeds and know if that's true?

I have Red Stars and believe me.........they are THE STARS!!!! I haven't had them through a winter yet but if the past few months is any indication...it ought to be good.

They are SOOOOOOOOO lovable and friendly and docile. If I ever have to replace any of my girls it will be with a STAR!!

OH.........did I mention the Huge eggs they lay???

Quote:
My Red Stars have been laying since early July. They are the first chickens I've ever had and I love them. Mine aren't overly friendly but they do seem happy to see me, even sometimes when I don't have any treats.
tongue.png
They'll jump all over me if they get the chance...silly birds. When I realized how much I liked my Red Stars I couldn't help but order my Black Star chicks. This has been a different experience for me because we got our Red Stars as 17 week old started pullets, not day olds like the Black Stars.

I have had mine since chickhood. If I pick one up......another starts pecking at my leg and sqwaking. They ALL want to be held. I have several breeds but even dh says......if you get more get STARS.

I heard they are better than black stars but have no personal experience with the black. Probably just someone's opinion I suppose.

I have 13 rirs that should start laying soon. Have a 6 month old rir that lays a medium egg. She is friendly also but I had hoped to get a larger egg from her.

My BO is very skittish with me and downright mean to all my girls. Lays a small egg. I thought she would be docile but no way.

Quote:
Did you use artificial lighting?

Nope. That's way too sophisticated for my setup! They free-range all day so they got sunlight that way, and for some reason the shortened daylight hours didn't seem to affect them too much. When they wanted to start laying, they just did.

Back
Top Bottom