Any hope?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TaraBellaBirds, Aug 8, 2014.

1. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I had set 20 eggs on the 31st. Yesterday would have been day 7. While I was working my 3 year old sneaked away from the DH and managed to turn of the incubator. [​IMG] This would have been between 5 and 8 o'clock PM. When I got home about 9:30 pm I checked the 'bator and realized it was off, temp had dropped to 78......

I turned it back on and temp gradually raised over night, right now it is at 99.1 and still raising, I try to keep it at an even 100.
    Is there any hope that they will make it? I won't be able to candle until tomorrow [​IMG]

2. There is always hope.

Wish ya the best.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I wouldn't give up hope, not sure if you have seen it but Brinsea has an article on temp effects on hatching eggs, says embryos under seven days old are pretty resistant to cold. I know I have had the power go out when I wasn't home for 6+ hours a couple of times and it didn't seem to hurt hatch% really...
    http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/PowerOff.aspx

1 person likes this.
  4. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Great, they are just mixbreeds but I was doing this hatch for the kids and they are kind of devastated at the moment.

I lost almost an entire hatch ($60 Wheaten Ameraucana eggs) in May due to a power outage at day 17, only one survivor. Thankfully the survivor turned out to be a pullet (born on my b-day!) and she is gorgeous!

I will update to let you know if they make it. Hopefully it was early enough that they are okay. Thanks for the pep-talk LOL [​IMG].

5. Phionex Boy

Phionex Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2014
    Beaufort,SC
    candle them to be sure

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It may delay your hatch, but there are many threads here on how the incubator was turned off, power went out, etc. and the chicks still hatched. I certainly wouldn't give up at this point.

7. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    GREAT ARTICLE posted by Kelsie2290!

That one article has put my mind at ease to the point that I see a thread of sanity coming back to me. I just set my batch of eggs this morning.
    Thank you so much for posting this.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by