Any Idea of Breed?

Chicken Pen

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
I hatched these back in July from a friend, they were supposed to be Road island reds. The eggs were smaller and lighter in color than my older RR layed. The roosters where red on white, rusty red and as seen multi-color. The hens are all brown with gray legs.

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Try the chicken calculator. Take a Rooster and put it over a recessive white hen (leghorn). Then put those offspring together and you'll see the multitude of possibility. As hatchery Reds have leghorn in genetics you can even take the red columbians with recessive white (similar to hatchery red genetic makeup) from that second mating and cross them and see that the odds of a wheaten male are greatly increased. You have a wheaten male and I think it's simply beaten the odds and was hatched from hatchery red birds. As for the near wheaten pullets I don't know why the legs aren't yellow.

Long story short if you put that male over those pullets you'll have a large percentage wheaten color. I can't tell from your photo if the male is red wheaten (neck feathers look red) or gold wheaten but that's what you can end with for a flock in just a few generations of selection. I bet they are still great layers too.

Last edited:
If the RIR's were not pure, say hatchery stock, it's possible to have gold or red wheaten color offspring. Wouldn't think those odds but they're there as hatchery RIR are hybrids.

What are all the bird breeds in your friends flock?

Last edited:
As I remember the pics sent to me they were RIR, Dominic and what looked like Prod.reds. but I can't be sure as they belonged to his ex-law's and I don't have the pics anymore.

I think the best that can be said from your photo is that you did not hatch out RIR. Even production reds are red birds with yellow legs.

Back
Top Bottom