Any idea of floor?

turtlemh

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2016
So this is my chicken coop. I was going to paint the floor but I have a feeling it would peal as its kinda has baked on dirt.. I plan on having the roosts on the top board but horizontally. Going to make some stairs for them to get up there. Any ideas?

I use linoleum. I buy what ever they have on sale.

x2... I had a hard time finding good ol' sheet vinyl flooring... there's only 2 Home Depot's in my county that even sell it in bulk so I got the 12"x12" tiles- they were around $0.53 each. I did put a weather coating on the raw wood floor though before I stuck the linoleum tiles down though, just as a precautionary measure, in case moisture got in between the seams for some reason.

I have lino in my coops, too. I was lucky with the new house to get an offcut of commercial lino (the type they use in hospitals). It's really thick and extra good compared to the household grade stuff.

You could paint your floor if you sanded it properly first. With an electric sander it wouldn't be that big a job. Even pressure-washing it might be sufficient to get the dirt off.

We did something pretty genius with our coop floor. We bought an inexpensive tarp to cover the floor (plus a few inches on two sides. Staples the edges to 2x2s on two sides. Rolled the edges to the center like a scroll. Put it in the coop, rolled out until the 2x2s hit the wall. When we clean the coop, we roll to the center, pull out, dump, sweep and replace it back in the coop. It makes things REALLY easy. There is still stuff to clean up around the edges but cuts time spent WAY down.

we just have the cheap sheep vinyl flooring rolled up on the sides to hold in the deep litter, as long as you are careful putting it in & scooping it out so you don't tear it, it should hold up fine.

Back
Top Bottom