Any Idea On A breed?

Quote:
When we first got our goat she got out and was chased and attached by my neighbors 4 jacks.

plus there are ..7? or 8 in the neighborhood. They shed a little too much for my parents liking
sad.png

IMHO, a standard poodle with a "normal", not "show" cut sounds perfect for you. Smart, attentive, eager to please, devoted, playful, sporting, good with kids, not at all yappy but a decent guard ability. No, I don't have one, but the standard poodles I've met and known have all been terrific dogs. It's a shame that the toy and teacup poodles have given people such a misconception of the breed.

Another thing you might think about would be a rescue greyhound (adoption of an ex-racer). The only thing on your list that they don't fit exactly is 'good guard dog' -- the ones I've known are really kind of couch potatoes when they are not actually running around, so unless you count 'being a speedbump' as guard dog behavior... LOL

They only thing I could possibly say against them is that you have to understand that they are bred-in-the-bone to chase small animals, so although individual dogs are sometimes exceptions, on the whole they can be a bit hard on the local cat/rabbit/squirrel population. As long as you are ok with this behavior, they are really super dogs. And there are sure a lot of them that need good homes
sad.png

Good luck,

Pat

I didnt even think of a greyhound!We have a race track * growls in disgust* down the road here. Ive only ever met one greyhound. He was a rescue from a track.

Ive noticed that they do have trouble sitting, the retired racers, because of the large muscles they have developed.

Do they shed any??

Quote:
Does he shed??? If not , that is a great possibilty, they have one at the shelter right now

He does shed, but not terribly. Our American Bulldog sheds more than he does. They do have an undercoat, but it isn't like when newfoundland loses their undercoat, the undercoat is much shorter, finer hair than what I usually think of as an undercoat. They also keep that coat year-round so there isn't a time when they are shedding a ton.

Mom parents are really picky when it comes to shedding, does it leae hair on you after a "hug" or petting?

Back
Top Bottom