Any idea on breed?

CyndiChick

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
Florida
These two little chicks were solid yellow to begin with, and what I believe is the hen has stayed a fairly yellow color overall. The little one I think is a roo has developed some lovely coloring on him.(Pics aren't the best, but hopefully someone will recognize them!)
This is the one I believe is a hen.

And this is my little suspected roo.

And we think the whitish one in these photos is just an older one of the same breed, hen we think.

Last edited:
How old are they? Where did you get them? They kind of look like mixes.
Bantams or large fowl? Do either of the chicks have feathered legs?

The top chicken is a cockerel unless they are 5-6 months old. The second chicken is also a cockerel.
And I think the red bird in the bottom photo is a cockerel as well.

What color legs does your white hen have? She looks like a different breed than your youngsters, possibly an Easter Egger if she's got greenish legs.

We've had them for about 2 1/2 months, and they were a <3 days old when we got them. Both the smaller chicks have clean legs (would have to go look as far as color...) The red one in the bottom photo we figured was a rooster, and we have a female that will be paired with him (looks the same). The red one does have some feathering on the legs, but its not heavy or all over.
We've already figured out that what we were sold as RIR probably aren't... they may have some RIR in their breed mix somewhere, but they aren't straight RIR. I'll check the legs on the whitish one, and the little chicks as well and get back to ya.

1- Looks like some sort of cross. Rooster.

2- Again, some sort of cross. Rooster.

3- Looks like a Easter Egger. Pullet.

4- Possibly New Hampshire red, Red Star or Rhode Island red (possibly cross as well). Rooster

Ok the one in the first picture has very pale yellow, almost white legs. The one in the second set has bright yellow legs. The bigger whitish one has greyish/white legs, didn't detect green. The red roo has one line of feathers down the outside front of his legs, while the hen that looks the same has no feathers on the leg. I will try and get better pictures when my hubby is home to hold either the camera or the chickens. Appreciate the help. So far, it looks like out of the 11 chicks I bought for less than 10 bucks.... I might have 3 or four hens. Makes me sad because we don't have space for that many roos so I'll have to find homes for them. Although I am going to keep a couple breeding pairs of the bantams I think.

Ok I tried to get some better pics to show legs and any other characteristics they might have. Little ones don't want to hold still even when being fed LOL Maybe these will help some.

Hen, we were told she was RIR, but don't think so.

Some type of bantam roo.

Feisty, some type of bantam hen.

Another bantam roo.

And yet another roo...

Mystery breed roo :)

Mystery breed, used to think it was a hen, possible roo?

Larger whitish hen, legs greyish (at least I think so) Has some bearding/tufts.

The other bantam hen.

Roo, were told RIR. Again, don't think so. Feathering on legs.

Hen, told RIR.

We were sold this hen as a columbian blacktail. Lays brown eggs (no pics atm as she isn't laying)

Gramps, displeased at having his pic taken yet again.

Crazy Bish, told RIR/ Americauna crossbreed.

Crazy's egg.

You have a lot of mixes, but here's my thoughts:
Ok I tried to get some better pics to show legs and any other characteristics they might have. Little ones don't want to hold still even when being fed LOL Maybe these will help some.

Hen, we were told she was RIR, but don't think so. Old English Game Bantam Mix

Some type of bantam roo. Black Cochin

Feisty, some type of bantam hen. Blue Cochin

Another bantam roo. (what kind of comb?)

And yet another roo... Black Cochin

Mystery breed roo :) Mottled Old English Game mix

Mystery breed, used to think it was a hen, possible roo? (need better pic)

Larger whitish hen, legs greyish (at least I think so) Has some bearding/tufts. Easter Egger

The other bantam hen. Black Cochin

Roo, were told RIR. Again, don't think so. Feathering on legs. Barnyard Mix (more than 2 generations of mixing)

Hen, told RIR. (could be hatchery quality RIR. I would call her a Production Red)

We were sold this hen as a columbian blacktail. Lays brown eggs (no pics atm as she isn't laying) Old English Game (probably a lemon cuckoo project bird)

Gramps, displeased at having his pic taken yet again. Barnyard Mix (more than one generation of mixing)

Crazy Bish, told RIR/ Americauna crossbreed. Modern Game

Crazy's egg.

Appreciate the info! Thanks so much :) We have two black cochin we will be breeding, and the pair of blue cochin we will be breeding.

Back
Top Bottom