Any idea on breeds?

flspnr

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 23, 2011
Gibsonton, FL
I got these two from a feed store across town. At the time, I knew I wanted bantam chicks and I wanted hens, and I'm pretty sure that's what I've got. Now, however, I'd kind of like to know what kind they are! The blueish grey one is Peep, she's very sweet, loves for me to pick her up and goes nuts for grapes. The brownish one is Repeep, she's not so friendly and, for being the same age as Peep, is quite a bit bigger. They're both 16 weeks old today.

107433_2011-09-25_12-00-51_631.jpg

This one is Snowflake. She was given to me by a very young neighbor. She has the mom chicken, who looks nothing like the baby, but Snowflake was getting picked on by everyone so she had to find a new home. She said she's about a year old and hasn't layed yet, but also said that chickens have to be about a year old before they start laying, so...She's a little bit smaller than Peep and Repeep, so am I correct in guessing that the girl was wrong and she's not anywhere near a year old, probably about the same age as the other two? And any idea on the breed?

107433_2011-09-25_12-00-13_166.jpg

Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure of breed but I think Peep's coloring is considered lavendar or self blue. Your girls sure are pretty! How long have you had Snowflake? Sometimes a move can cause them to stop laying for a period of time. If its been several months however, her age might be a little suspect. My hens all laid by 6 mos or so.

Georgia Boy 1970, Thanks! I googled, and they sure do look like the ones you listed.

Jloeffler, Thanks! The reason I suspected her age was because the little girl said that she should be laying eggs soon, but they didn't lay eggs until a year old, which goes against everything I've read! I've only had her a couple of weeks. My other two, at 16 weeks, have much brighter red combs than her as weel, and isn't that related to age as well as when they're going to lay for the first time?

Back
Top Bottom