Any idea on gender?

Update - we took 6 of the 10 to the vet to have them checked and see if they could tell us their gender (as we needed to balance gender for someone who had 2 drakes and 1 duck)... she believes wasn't sure with the dark brown as they are a bit older now making venting more difficult.

Anyway, the 3 we sold quacked while we were there so I'm happy they were ducks! Just still unsure on the rest lol I thought the dark brown 'should' be ducks?

20221218_131457.jpg
20221218_131350.jpg

We have 3 remaining that we are still unsure of their gender... they still haven't quacked but we aren't sure if that's unusual? (Born around Nov 9 to a nesting mum).

Only drake is a Buff Orpington... mum could be either a pekin or Swedish Blue or call duck (but we don't think call duck due to both egg and duckling size)

20221225_081704.jpg

Attachments

• 20221225_081651.jpg
    20221225_081651.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
The one on the left is definitely from the Swedish Blue, and the second probably too. They should start quacking (or not!) Any Day Now! :)

Have you tried picking one up and walking away with it? They'll usually let you know with their vocalizations then.

They were with mum for the first couple of weeks and she was very protective (unusually for a pekin) so while they are very friendly they aren't easily caught. We aren't too worried at the moment what they are as they are so chilled out so I guess we will keep playing the waiting game lol.

I agree that the first two (1st picture) are from the Blue Swedish mom, making them sex-linked. The first blue one is then a drake, the second light tan one is then a hen. The third one who looks like a buff must be from the Pekin. I am guessing it is a drake based on bill and tail feather color.

We did manage to pick up the one that looks like a Buff yesterday and no sound at all, we had 3 of this colouring in the 10 ducklings.. the light coloured one is confusing as it's still not quacking and 'should' be sex-linked to the Buff drake (ie one Buff gene only = ducks) but we think the pekin may have a hidden brown gene?
Thankfully, if we wish to we have the option to keep them.

Back
Top Bottom