Any idea what could be attacking our flock?

babsterh

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Suffolk, VA
This afternoon we lost two 5 month old girls. Our GLW had survived a hawk attack from last month but wasn't as lucky this time. The other one was an EE. One was found under some brush near the house, the other one was found in an area under our stairs that lead to the second floor deck...this area is where they typically hang out, eat and keep dry in the rain. They only go in their coop to lay eggs and sleep at night. When I found both bodies it appeared that their leg sockets had been twisted and popped off to access their chest areas. There was a small gap in each of their chests where it looked as if the interior was dug out a little. One had feathers missing from her head, it looked as if the skin were peeled back. Does anyone have any idea what could be attacking my flock?

I'm sorry for your loss. There are a lot of things that like chicken for dinner but since you have had a hawk attack before and the birds were killed during the daytime, I would guess a hawk got them. A covered run is your best protection from such attacks. Once a hawk finds out you have chickens, they will come back.

Here are a couple of links you may find useful to read more about chicken predators:

http://www.raising-chickens.org/chicken-predators.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-predators-pests-how-to-protect-treat-your-flock

Thanks North FL chick. I didn't think that it could be a hawk since I found both of the girls in locations that aren't easy for hawks to get into. The last hawk attack was out in the open and the hawk just swooped down. I really appreciate the links.

Not all hawks hunt in the open. Around here Cooper's and goshawks hunt easily through the trees. It is also migration season. So don't rule out those just yet.

Any problems with neighbor dogs?

I hope you don't have any more losses, it's always hard losing birds.

keesmom, thanks for your reply. I just assumed that hawks needed an open area to swoop in...one of my girls was in fairly thick brush which is why I wasn't thinking hawk. We have had problems with a neighbor's dog in the past, they have since put in an invisible fence. In addition to that their dog also took our girl home with him, no remains like we had today. I'm going to keep the girls locked up in their run for a while even though they will have a huge issue with it since they're used to free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom