Any idea what could be wrong with this hen?

My hens do very well on Purina Flock Raiser pellets (20% protein). I've noticed that some even continue laying while they're molting, which didn't happen when I fed them layer feed (16% protein) during the fall molt.

I just thought I would post an update! So, I have had the girls out nearly every day free ranging on an empty pasture and I changed their feed to Purina's Layena with all sorts of goodies (so the rep said) I don't usually like Purina but they literally have monopolized my area so I had to get what was the "best" for my area.

I have not had a wavy egg in about a month. I DO however see her egg with a bit of blood on one end on it. It seems she is getting a few new feathers on her chest/neck but this lady is still laying! Her tail looks horrible still and behind her comb is still bare but at least her egg has become smooth. Also, something weird I happened to notice about her egg, is when I crack it, it cracks open weird... Its how I know for sure its hers. It cracks lengthwise rather than width-wise. Can anyone make sense of this? If not I think I will just attribute all this to her being "glitchy" when producing eggs. I hope being glitchy doesn't end up killing her from being egg bound or something horrible like that.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom