Any idea what could have happened???

mojomamma

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 19, 2011
Alabama
I was just awakened at 9pm by a hen clucking super loud. I ran out there and she was out of the coop( I forgot to shut the door, so she was out in the run) she was pacing back and forth. I thought that a wild animal was in the coop or something by the way she was acting. Looked in on the other birds and they were sound asleep! Then I noticed that there was a broken egg laying on the ground that she must have run out there to lay, because it wasn't there a couple of hours ago. Any ideas of what could have happened? She is a dominique and just started laying a couple eggs a week around Christmas....

idunno.gif
I have a couple dummie ceramic eggs in the nesting box and I have found them moved out of box and clear across the coop. Maybe she was trying to get it back in the coop and was screaming because she broke it.

She has always been a little off, she is my special needs bird and my very favorite. She never runs from me, just lets me pick her right up. Over the last month, I have found 2 eggs under the perches broken inside the coop, not sure who's they were, maybe hers? But tonight was so strange, I have never seen her or any of the birds act like that. If they are egg bound will the egg ever come out on its own? Could this be what it was?

Could it have been just her crazy self after laying an egg? Mine are loud and proud after laying and will get extra loud if they break them. It sounds like she was stressed because she was out and no good place to drop her egg and then to break it too! She's fine! Good luck!

Maybe she was bound up and broke the egg as it was coming out and she was freaked out. Did you check her vent to see if it was damaged or wet or bloody or something?

Back
Top Bottom