Any idea what my crosses will look like and what color eggs they may lay?

kitzichickens

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2023
Hi there!

I have a single Welsummer roo, with several breeds of hens in my flock. I have recently started incubating my eggs & was wondering if anyone knew what breeds I may be hatching & what color eggs they may lay? Here’s a list of my hen breeds:
Olive egger (she’s a gold color mixed with black)
Easter Eggers (peach, blue & green layers)
Isa Brown
Golden Comet
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Gold Laced Wyandotte
Rhode Island Red

If anyone can help me figure out my chicks that would great! :) thank you!!

:welcome You will have an Easter Egg basket of varicolored chicks the pullets of which will provide a true Easter Egg basket of eggs. Eggs may range from light brown to dark brown to green to olive and perhaps even blue.

Awesome! That’s so exciting :) Do you know if they should be speckled? I only ask because of the Welsummer’s Speckle gene, thank you again!

I have a single Welsummer roo, with several breeds of hens in my flock. I have recently started incubating my eggs & was wondering if anyone knew what breeds I may be hatching
There will not be any pure breeds of chicks. They will all be mixes.

Chicks that lay blue or green eggs could reasonably be called Easter Eggers, but the others are just barnyard mixes (sometimes called "mutts.") If you want to be specific, you can describe each one by which parents it had (Welsummer x Wyandotte, Welsummer x Rhode Island Red, etc.)

& what color eggs they may lay?
For a Welsummer rooster and that list of hens:

Chicks that hatch from blue/green/olive eggs may grow up to lay eggs that are green or olive (dark green). Or they may grow up to lay eggs that are brown (probably medium to dark brown.)

Chicks that hatch from brown eggs or peach/pink/cream/tan eggs will grow up to lay some shade of brown eggs (medium to dark brown is more likely than light brown.)

Do you know if they should be speckled? I only ask because of the Welsummer’s Speckle gene
I don't really know how the genetics work for that. I think you are most likely to get some speckled eggs and some that are not speckled.

Sooo it’s been a few weeks, and I have two hens from a previous hatch who had FINALLY laid their first couple eggs. My ISA brown x Welsummer hen lays Light Brown speckled eggs, and the other is an Easter Egger x Welsummer hen lays green eggs similar to my full grown F1 Olive Egger (Dolly lays a lighter green but darker than my Easter Eggers green egg)
IMG_1799.jpeg
IMG_1804.jpeg
on the left is my Easter Egger Thelma, middle is my newly laying lady Bonnie (hatched from a blue Easter Egger egg), and on the right is from my Olive Egger Dolly!

Back
Top Bottom