Any idea what types of chicks these are?

Irolita

Songster
6 Years
Jul 25, 2017
Ontario
Someone dropped these chicks off to me as day olds. I'm not quite sure where they came from, but the story was that they bought eggs that started hatching unexpectedly. The whole story was odd, and I heard it secondhand from the person who delivered them to me. So I really have no idea how any of this could have happened. They are two weeks old now. They hatched from brown eggs. I'm guessing they might be some sort of mix. But I have my fingers crossed that they will at least be some sort of layers? Not meat birds I hope... since I'm a vegetarian 🤞

IMG_5087.jpg

Someone dropped these chicks off to me as day olds. I'm not quite sure where they came from, but the story was that they bought eggs that started hatching unexpectedly. The whole story was odd, and I heard it secondhand from the person who delivered them to me. So I really have no idea how any of this could have happened. They are two weeks old now. They hatched from brown eggs. I'm guessing they might be some sort of mix. But I have my fingers crossed that they will at least be some sort of layers? Not meat birds I hope... since I'm a vegetarian

They are probably mixes. They don't look like any pure breed I know.

I do not think they are Cornish Cross (meat chickens that grow so big, so fast, that they have health problems.) The brown ones are not Cornish Cross, because CC are always white. The white ones are not Cornish Cross, because they are about the same size as the brown ones, while Cornish Cross would be quite a bit larger even at this young age.

They are probably a dual-purpose type (grow big enough to be worth butchering for meat, but hens lay a reasonable amount of eggs too.)

The one on the farthest right is a male (comb & wattles are quite big & red for his age).
Of course he will never lay eggs. Unless you want him to father chicks (half of whom will also be males), I suggest you rehome him, either to someone who wants a rooster or to someone who wants to eat him.

I can't be sure of gender on any of the others yet. Big, red comb & wattles at this age mean male. Small, pale comb & wattles at this age do not mean much, because they could be females or slower-developing males.

They are probably mixes. They don't look like any pure breed I know.

I do not think they are Cornish Cross (meat chickens that grow so big, so fast, that they have health problems.) The brown ones are not Cornish Cross, because CC are always white. The white ones are not Cornish Cross, because they are about the same size as the brown ones, while Cornish Cross would be quite a bit larger even at this young age.

They are probably a dual-purpose type (grow big enough to be worth butchering for meat, but hens lay a reasonable amount of eggs too.)

The one on the farthest right is a male (comb & wattles are quite big & red for his age).
Of course he will never lay eggs. Unless you want him to father chicks (half of whom will also be males), I suggest you rehome him, either to someone who wants a rooster or to someone who wants to eat him.

I can't be sure of gender on any of the others yet. Big, red comb & wattles at this age mean male. Small, pale comb & wattles at this age do not mean much, because they could be females or slower-developing males.
Thanks very much! I'm not so worried about roosters. I have two already, and separate coops/pens that I can move roos into. Or I can rehome. I just don't really want meat birds that get too big to be comfortable.

Thanks very much! I'm not so worried about roosters. I have two already, and separate coops/pens that I can move roos into. Or I can rehome. I just don't really want meat birds that get too big to be comfortable.
In that case, these will probably be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom