Any idea where I can but fertile eggs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BaileyBoy, Feb 9, 2014.

1. BaileyBoy

BaileyBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2014
    I'm am preferably looking for any local chain stores maybe In Los Angeles California? If not is there a site online that sells them cheap and have a good hatch rate (Maybe $5 per dozen)

2. ichoudhury

ichoudhury Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Stone Mountain
    I have gotten eggs from the well known auction site but always hit or miss. Usually like to get bunch of them and expect only 30% to hatch (success rate is more or less for different people). However, the best case scenario is to find somebody local (craiglist) and expect 80-100% hatch rate (so even paying little more to a local breeder, you gain in the long run)

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you can find a natural or organic food store that sells fertile eggs, you can try them. (Some people prefer to eat fertile eggs.) People have had varying success here doing this.

4. TheChickInn

TheChickInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Maybe try putting an ad out on your local Craigslist? I have bought a dozen hatching eggs for $5/dozen this way. Otherwise, if you are not particular about a specific breed, you could probably buy a dozen mixed breed hatching eggs on EBAY and not have to spend very much. You will be taking a gamble on shipped eggs though. Best to buy them as close as possible to where you live. Last year I purchased 2 dozen hatching eggs from Washington ( I had them shipped to Wisconsin) I only got 1 egg to hatch- guessing they got hit by the X-ray machine. 6 months later, I purchased another 2 dozen hatching eggs from the very same breeder and got 22 out of 24 to hatch. Shipped eggs are always a gamble....good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by