Any ideas for an ideal chicken tractor for chicks ( fox proof)

Brandon97

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Newport, Wales, UK.
Hi It's Brandon!
On the weekend, me and my dad are building a XL chicken tractor on wheels, but i dont know what design we should go for. It will be used to get our chicks (RIR and BARNEVELDER) ready to live with the others outside, by putting the tractor next to the hen run to get them used to other birds. When our silkies grow it may be used as a permanent home, so we want it to be large and fox proof, our run is electrified. They are bantams (the silkies), so should i use the run or the tractor for a permanent home?(this will decide the size). Any ideas/designs would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Brandon:D
lol.png
big_smile.png
lol.png

To fox proof, just fasten strong wire up to 2X4 to the lower tractor frame edge let the skirt lay to the outside about 18" to 24". It will move with the tractor or if the tractor is real big, clip it to the wall with clothes pins while moving and then release when you have arrived. The nice thing about this method is if the bottom rail of the tractor does not touch the ground, you are still chicken tight and fox proof.
ya.gif

Great Idea! I will use that most defo!
up to 2X4 to the lower tractor frame

what do you mean by this? are you referring to the skirt size?
clip it to the wall with clothes pins while moving and then release when you have arrived.

Thats probably what we will do, for ease of use/movement, and probably 24" like you suggested
bottom rail of the tractor does not touch the ground, you are still chicken tight and fox proof.

Yes great thinking! Most of our land is on slope, and so will probably have gaps, I was very worried about this until your idea came along!

Thanks for the advice, it's really helpful, i will post a pic of the finished product saturday or sunday.
Brandon.
celebrate.gif

Oh that makes much more sense haha!
I will defo post some pics for you, either in this thread or i will start a new topic and e-mail you a link!
Thanks loads, youve been a real help!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom