Any ideas for skunk deterrent?

Finally my two boys and my husband have an excuse to pee outside! Definitely will try that. Wondering how to facilitate hot wire without harming the ducks and chickens?
I don't think it really works. I had an issue several years ago and a skunk was digging under the gate to my chick/grow-out coop pen. I had forgot to shut the pop door and it was closed just enough that some of the chicks couldn't get inside and when I realized it I went out and there was a skunk attempting to dig under the gate to their pen. I stomped my feet at the skunk and it turned towards me and stomped it's feet at me. I went into the house and got my gun and went back out and attempted to scare the skunk off and again it stomped it's feet at me, it seemed persistent. I shot it and put a bucket over it until I could deal with it in the morning. I was able to let the chicks in their coop.

Another skunk incident. We are rural on a dead end road and from time to time we get other people's relocations. A friend was at the local doughnut shop in town and overheard some people talking about catching and releasing skunks in our area. I was catching a skunk in a trap most every night and one night I got two skunks in one trap. I dug a nice deep hole for the ones I caught. They all went into the hole with some dirt on the back of our property. I had talked to a wildlife officer prior and told him of my dilemma and he told me they weren't endangered. I certainly wasn't going to relocate them someplace else for someone else to deal with. I caught over a dozen skunks.

I also use a solar powered flashing red light called Predator Eye around coop and yard areas- very cheap - maybe about $20 for 2 last time I got them. Along with all the other items on the skunk deterrent list (remove or relocate trash/compost pile/hiding places, etc...)

Last edited:
No more skunks- ducks love their new location and are enjoying swimming in the tortoise water areas at night. They don’t even want to come out of the tortoise pen when all the gates are opened in the morning🤣

all food, eggs/nests and ducks removed and no more problems. I like the light idea as a deterrent but the ducks hate any and all lights at night.

thanks everyone 😊

they sell skunk traps enclosed from Strombergs...or use a live trap and shoot it....but only do that if you live on property where you can drag the trap a long distance from the house. trust me...if you get sprayed...you will no longer smell it but everyone else will smell YOU for a while

Just figured out the hard way what is digging under my duck enclosure. All ducks are fine but had been reluctant to go in for the last two nights . Found a ceramic egg I keep in the duck nest eaten in half and an area that had been dug under and into the duck house. Dog found skunk last night at 1 am 😩😩

so dog has been washed and skunk is nowhere to be found and duck enclosure will be moved and reinforced today. I am sure the skunk will be back and am looking for anything I can put out to deter it. I have a couple young pullets that I worry about - they are locked inside at night in their coop which the skunk cannot get into . Do skunks come out during the day??? OMG my whole house smells like skunk 🦨 I probably do too 🤬

Careland Nighttime Animal Deterrent Light Solar Powered Nocturnal Animal Repeller with Bright Strobe LED Lights Scare Skunk Coyote Weasel Wolf Away for Garden Chicken Coop Orchards Livestock (4 Pack)​

I have these and so far so good. Ratings are great and those who purchased say it works. I only wish I had gotten more. They look like little wolf heads with red eyes that light up and blink at night. Self charging in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom