Any ideas on feeding an infant Florida Scarlet Kingsnake? SAD*UPDATE*

Quote:
Hmmm, 24/7 surveillance, that sounds good!!! J/K.
Thanks moonwalker for the link!! I'm gonna check it out now.

Is there a way to tell boy or girl on color? His name is King for now, but that would be a silly name for a female!
lol.png
Thanks everyone!! Steph

Hi! Beautiful baby, great find!
smile.png

Cut the cord off that heat rock and it'll make a lovely enclosure decoration.

Also, what "store bought sand" are you using exactly? I greatly discourage the use of "calci-sands" because of the risk of impaction. It clumps in the intestines and does NOT provide a "source of calcium" like it claims, nevermind the fact snakes don't need a calcium supplement anyways. It's more of a risk with lizards, as they tend to taste their environment, than snakes who do not, but why risk it? Aspen is a lovely, and much cheaper, alternative. Please avoid ceder and pine, which can be toxic to herps! Newspaper or papertowels, while not as pretty, also work well.

Also, he will NOT need a UVB light, snakes generally do not need lights at all, though a light makes them easier to see! For heat, an under the tank heater is always the best bet (for snakes!). A temperature of between 75-85 degrees is fine, higher temperatures, more proper for basking lizards, may cook the poor thing.

Please do not feed wild caught lizards! Just think of the internal parasites they are carrying and will pass on to your new baby. If he continues to refuse, I would possibly try freezing one for a week or so to kill as many parasites as possible, but it is always better to try to get him feeding on a diet of pinks. I agree with trying pink heads. If all fails, these little guys are often available from breeders and can be shipped to you.

Best of luck to you! Absolutely beautiful little guy, and the name King would fit great!
smile.png

Well, King is in a better place now. I don't know what happened. Just passed away. I just held him 5 minutes ago, and he was fine, went to check on him, and he had passed. I thought maybe he was playing possom, but no. My kids are so upset. They kept screaming "no" over and over. We gave him a small burial, and will just go about as best as we can. Thanks to everyone for your advise! Steph

RIP King.
GEDC1981.jpg

Ohh, Steph, I am so sorry!
sad.png
I just now read all this and I was hoping to hear that King was alright.
sad.png
I can't tell you what could've happened, because I am clueless about snakes.
Nice that you and your kids gave him a burrial. It's tough for kids to deal with death, but I believe it's good for their development to learn that all things eventually die.

Sending you lots of hugs from NC!!

Thank you sooooo much! On a more positive note, I just found out my brother's girlfriend's brother (ugh, that was confussing) is going to give us one of his new babies to replace ours. And he will help me with adjusting, and feeding!!! So my kids are better now, mostly. They have been around animals all their lives, and know it's what happens, but it's still sad. Thanks again, and I will post pics of our newest baby when we get it. Steph

You never know when you find an animal in the wild, especially a baby, if it has been injured or is already sick when you got it.
So sorry, he was gorgeous.
Good luck with the new one.

Oh darn it! I wish I had seen this sooner!! :thun I used to breed reptiles...

If you do end up getting a new one and have any trouble shoot me an email. I used to have about 25 breeding snakes at one time (not to mention all of the lizards and various reptilian and amphibian strays that ended up in my house)

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom