Any ideas on how to find a new home for our 14 wk old OEG bantam roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by susanah, Jul 12, 2011.

1. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Please don't say stewpot. He is my daughter's pet and he's a sweetie.
    But he's such a tiny thing I hate to send him to a farm where I know he'll
    just get beat up. I'd love to find him a breeder or someone who will
    at least take care of him. Any ideas? or do I live in fantasy world?

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    you could post an ad looking for a home for him that will treat him like a pet, maybe someone with a back yard flock will want a little roo. good luck!

3. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Try bringing him to a local poultry show, putting an ad in the local Craigslist or newspaper, and so on. Charge enough for him that it would be absurd to eat him, like $5.00 at his tiny size. Sometimes people who have bought pullets from a hatchery decide a few years down the line that they'd like to add a rooster. That's the kind of buyer you want to find.

I am selling my cockerels for the first time and have just sold one. I put an ad in the Virginia Farm Classifieds and specified, "Not for food or sport." When someone contacts me, I ask about their flock in a friendly, open way. If it seems shady, say, "We really love our boy and we want to find him a nice flock to live with, but thanks for your interest!"

This is the text of my ad. You could use it and substitute your information. If the ad doesn't allow pictures, you could put a picture of him on your BYC page and give the web address in your ad.

10+ week old hand-raised cockerels seeking homes, hatched from Gabbard Farms eggs. My chicks have grown, and I have too many boys! See http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/about/cockerels/ for pictures and details. Price negotiable, not for food or sport. EMAIL preferred.​

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I got my roo after posting on craigslist that I wanted a free one.Dh drove me to PA to get him.I would post to craigs or at the ad boards at the feed store.

5. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Thanks for the ideas everyone!

6. rcav

rcav New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    Hi. I also have 3 roosters 11 weeks old- 3 blue Polish and one silver spangled hamburg. All handsome fellas, but can't have roo's in my town. I am in Central MA, and would be glad to deliver-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by