Any ideas on my chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jscott511, Jun 1, 2012.

1. jscott511

jscott511 Hatching

Jun 1, 2012
    My son's second grade class hatched eggs and since we have 3 hens of our own, I figured I'd let him bring 2 home. All I know is that the teacher got them from a local farmer...don't know breed or sex...any ideas? Chick #2's feathers seem to be really curly or something...not smooth at all...I'm at a loss. Help! Thanks so much!

Chick #1

[​IMG]

Chick #2

[​IMG]

2. #1 looks to have greenish legs,so may be part or all easter egger #2 looks like a mix of a frizzle and RRed and more likely to be a her than #1

3. clucknpeck

clucknpeck Songster

Mar 15, 2012
    I'm not sure but I just had to say you are so lucky you got a frizzle! (pic 2) I have been coveting them and have yet to find one around here.

4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    They are..... backyard mutts! The 2nd one is frizzle. It's a little too early to be guessing the genders yet though.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    They are barnyard mixed.

6. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    your right about being to early to sex but the frizzle #2 chick looks so much like a roo that comb looks far to big at that age

it should be almost non existant till atleast 5 weeks or so

i have a roo at 4 weeks old and his comb is big already where as my hens of same age have a smaller comb then even the OP frizzle chick

7. jscott511

jscott511 Hatching

Jun 1, 2012
    Thanks so much! I figured they were mutts, but the "curly" feathers had me confused. lol I'm hoping to get at least one hen...not sure what I'd do with 2 roos!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: