Any ideas on the breed?

Anny

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Detroit Michigan
ducky2.jpg

ducky-1.jpg

sorry the photos are so dark. The duckling is pretty dark color and it's hard to get a good shot.

Quote:
Hmmm, there are eyestripes, aren't there? When I read "pretty dark color" and saw black legs/bill I immediately thought Campbell.
smile.png

Well...Rouen or Mallard are the best bets then - although I have seen some hatchery Campbells that had the wild-type eyestripes (they were probably accidentally crossed with Mallards or Rouens at some point), so you never know.

Which brings up another good point - it could be mixed.
hmm.png

EDIT - Well, I was flummoxed, so I did a little more research. Could it be a Golden 300 hybrid? Here's a link to the Metzer Farms pictures of Golden 300 ducklings - they're varying shades of brown, and most have eyestripes: http://www.metzerfarms.com/BreedPics/Golden300Baby.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say Mallard like mallards are a bit more black..... I'd say a wild-typed colored breed. whats a snowy mallard baby look like?? Would it be too brown to be a snowy mallard

Quote:
Hmmm, there are eyestripes, aren't there? When I read "pretty dark color" and saw black legs/bill I immediately thought Campbell.
smile.png

Well...Rouen or Mallard are the best bets then - although I have seen some hatchery Campbells that had the wild-type eyestripes (they were probably accidentally crossed with Mallards or Rouens at some point), so you never know.

Which brings up another good point - it could be mixed.
hmm.png

EDIT - Well, I was flummoxed, so I did a little more research. Could it be a Golden 300 hybrid? Here's a link to the Metzer Farms pictures of Golden 300 ducklings - they're varying shades of brown, and most have eyestripes: http://www.metzerfarms.com/BreedPics/Golden300Baby.jpg

She looks alot like the darker one on the lower photo all the way to the right.

What gorgeous photos....I like the last one the best...with the little yellow rubber duckie as well... So cute... My guess is a Rouen

Back
Top Bottom