Any ideas on what these are?

The black one looks like my black copper maran hen. I may be wrong though. However, the green tint to the feathers looks almost identical to my Sophie. I did notice though that there are no feathers on her feet which may mean I'm wrong.

Sophie, my maran hen, is totally black with a slight green tint to her wing feathers and has feathers on her feet as well.
Most black chickens or chickens with black in them have a sheen to them and most of the time the sheen is green. On the feathered shanks of marans, there are both clean legged and feathered legged varieties around. If you want to show or breed quality marans, they should have feathered shanks.

Thanks for the replies. No feathers on any of the feet. Here's another pic of the black one.

Coming from Big R, I'm pretty sure that would be a black sex link. Plus, the big floppy comb indicates more production heritage, vs Marans breeding.

Agree on the silver laced Wyandotte and white Leghorn. You wound up with a nice looking flock
smile.png

Thanks! These three were an addition to our Buff Orpington and Speckled Sussex. Now if the new ones would just start laying...
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom