Any ideas what this is and what to do about it?

yinzerchick

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
E.Texas
I noticed this last evening at bed check. This was taken about a half hour ago. She's a RSL, 8 1/2 months old, eating well, laying, acting fine. I didn't notice any difficulty breathing, no feather loss, and I don't see any other chickens with symptoms. Could it be a peck in the eye or something? No discharge, smell, or puss.
Any advice will be much appreciated!
95829_pc160934.jpg

Last edited:
I've read all the stuff I can find, I'm still confused. Leaning towards using Tylan 50, starting this evening (when I'll have an extra pair of hands). Wish me luck, it'll be my first attempt at injecting a hen. Fingers crossed it works! Wondering if I should seperate her...

Quote:
I'd seperate her. You can also give the tylan 50 orally, 1/2cc once a day for 5 days. Injecting is 1/2cc in breast muscle once a day for 3 days...alternate injecting into the breast each day. Left breast one day, right breast the next, left breast the 3rd day. Injecting is quicker and more effective than dosing orally. That's why it's 5 days if given orally...slower to absorb and there's some waste, there should be positive effect in 3rd or 4th day.

Just some words of hope for newbies trying to medicate their birds on their own...My hen with the blistery thing on her eye is all better. I can't even tell she had anything wrong with her eye now. Gave her Tylan 50, 1/2 cc orally for 4 days and she is looking great! Fast intervention was probably key. If it's possible, try to stock up as much stuff as you can for the first aid kit (I got the list on here somewhere) and be ready! I'm so glad I had the Tylan 50 on hand, and the syringes! Good luck to all and thanks again for the advice!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom