Any ideas why my flock has not yet molted 26+ months and no molt yet.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by slc, Sep 13, 2010.

1. slc

slc Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Upper Michigan
    My flock looks terrible. They have not molted for the first time yet and they are over 26 months old now. Hens are partly bald from treading roosters which are now removed. Two broody hens I segregated have new feathers on their backs and you can really tell how faded and damaged the old feathers are by comparison. What would be potential reasons why they will not molt? Is there a way to get them to molt before winter sets in?

2. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    My flock hasn't molted either, and it's been almost a year......

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Some hens molt in such a subtle way that you never even realize that they have.
    I know you can play around with their light exposure and food to force a molt, but don't know the details.

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had chickens for a long time and never have seen what I thought a molt would look like. Feathers are lost and feathers grow back... it's all so gradual that I never even knew that they were doing it... nobody ever went bald... they pretty much know what they are doing. [​IMG]

5. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Most of mine are under 2 years old and the only way I can tell who is molting is the color of the feathers in the coop and run. It looks like someone plucked a chicken in there, so many feathers. [​IMG]
    None went bald either. My egg production is down though.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I think its more like what mmaddies said about gradual. I thought my girls would lose all their feathers and be bald, not true at all. You just notice more feathers in coop, run and yard. In some places you look at the amount of feathers and wonder who got ate. Once you count it's no one.

7. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    You can feed them a tiny bit of catfood (like a handfull each) it helps them molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by