Any ideas?

Good point ocap. That window is too high for a box. My other coop is right next to this. You can see the backside of their nexting box in one of the photos. Those 10 ISA browns have just started laying. In this second coop I would like some exotics. We are still talking about the option of enclosing a run around it or just going completely free range and locking them in at night.

Good point ocap. That window is too high for a box. My other coop is right next to this. You can see the backside of their nexting box in one of the photos. Those 10 ISA browns have just started laying. In this second coop I would like some exotics. We are still talking about the option of enclosing a run around it or just going completely free range and locking them in at night.

Isa browns have been on my wish list for at least three years. Cackle Hatchery has a bargain page with a mix of Predator aware breeds that I am also considering.

Last edited:
I relocated this playhouse from another area on my property. I cut the legs and levelled and set it. I want to turn it into a new coop and run. Looking for ideas.
My first thought is.......don't like the way the barn and playhouse roofs intersect,
see snow piling there not to mention just the rain runoff from the barn might be a real issue.
Not sure if another location/orientation is possible....but something to think about.

Rest of roof has no overhang to protect windows....so top hinged windows would be advisable.

Like the 'porch roof'.....would be good place for door into coop.
The rest of the 'deck' and railing seems like it would best serve as material for other parts of the build,
but not sure of structural aspects of removing parts of it.

Looking at your other threads and pics,
I'd seriously concentrate on getting your 10 existing birds adequate housing for the upcoming winter.......
.....maybe this playhouse could be part of that endeavor.

I'm glad you responded the way you did, aart. It really got me thinking about my setup and it's inadequacies. But d@mn you! (J/k)- now I have a whole big project ahead of me. I think I am going to completely gut my current fenced in set up, remove the roof and porch of the playhouse, move the playhouse body inside and build it to be the main coop. This will be a much better setup for the winter as the girls currently perch outside above the coop. I already planned on wrapping the run for the winter to help keep out wind and snow. A harsh winter is predicted here in Northern Ohio. I better get busy....

Glad you could take my critique as being helpful, instead of taking it as criticism.
There can be a fine line between the 2, and my delivery is not subtle.
I myself would rather hear hard truths than have sunshine blown up my behind.
You've got a lot to work with and obviously some fabrication skills, not sure how you modified and moved that playhouse, but that took some thinking and effort.

Best of cLuck to you.

Last edited:

I believe this is the same playhouse that was turned into a coop. Looks like they boarded up the windows and one window became the door, chopped off the deck and addition. I would however question the ventilation as I see none but a cool octagon window shaped vent/screen mesh at the top on both sides could be a fairly easy solution, or just drilling some decent holes and applying HC. As Aart mentioned I would suggest a little move overhang then pictured here to protect from wind blown weather. I also don't recommend the bolt latch shown in the above picture... prying coon hands.... Good luck!

Then I came across this one as well... they kept the lean two cover and addressed ventilation however I would suggest putting HC on the inside of the hole.

Last edited:
That's pretty close. I decided to add a south wing to my existing set up so the girls have a good home to winter in. Thanks for pointing that out aart. On the southeast corber I attached it to my nesting box. It had 4 laying stations and the girls are only laying in one. So I made one the hallway to the addition. Everything is repurposed so it isnt as pretty as it could be but I believe it will house the girls well for the winter and we can simply add more in the spring. It should be able to easily house 25 birds.

Back
Top Bottom