1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by txcarl1258, Dec 25, 2010.

1. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    These two girls have me stumped. I got them both from TSC back in the spring and I cannot figure out what breed they are. They both lay brown eggs. The first pic is a front and side shot of the same hen. The other is the only pic I could get because she wouldn't stop moving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Vedwards

Vedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    They look like welsummers.

3. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    the first picture looks like a brown laghorn

4. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    the first picture looks like a black sex link even tho she is a little light-she has the same face as mine
    don't have any idea on the 2nd pic.

5. txcarl1258

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I think they both may be mixes. The first is a big girl, almost as big as my BA and she has huge feet! The other is my fav I call her color "blue wheaton" I know this is not correct, but I am not sure of another pattern to use to describe her. She is a golden color with flecks of black in her chest along with blue tail feathers. I will try to get some better pics of them. I don't think #1 is a BSL she almost has the pattern of Brown Red. IDK I guess we will just have to guess some more! [​IMG]

6. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I thought the first one looked like a Welsummer too but Welsummers should lay a VERY dark brown egg close to a Marans and often has dark speckles on it.

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    First one can't be a Brown Leghorn because it doesn't have white earlobes. They do look similar though. Sorry, I only know what they're not! [​IMG]

8. txcarl1258

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Quote:I know what you mean! I have been wracking my brain thinking there was some long lost chicken breeds that I didn't know about! LOL The first one I like, but I would like to find out what the second girl is because the pics do not do her justice she is just beautiful. I assumed TSC got them from Ideal and I have searched their site, but no luck. I may e-mail them a pic to see if they can tell me.

9. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    The first one IS A WELSUMMER. IF she is hatchery stock, she may just lay a brown egg or a redish/ purplish brown egg.

The other chicken has too much of a glare on it for me to tell.

I have 2 welsummers and 2 partridge rocks. . . . .Your first picture is a welsummer [​IMG]

10. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Welsummer for the first one. Her eggs may/will get darker over time. My Welsummer I got in March started laying last month and her eggs are gradually getting darker and shinier.

The second is hard to tell. A better pic would help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by