Any ideas...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SunAngel, Aug 29, 2008.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I got these 3 little black chicks at auction, but dont know what they are or if all 3 are the same breed even.

They are all black down their backs except two rows of reddish bands on their wings. One has a yellow comb, and the other two have dark combs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I have no idea what they are, maybe a mix? or maybe someone better at identifying chicks can help.

3. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    So they don't look like anyones Sex Link or Australorp chicks?

I ruled out BR cause none of them have spots on the back of their heads.

4. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    No idea on the breed, but at least you got one roo and one hen. Better than all roos. Cute little buggers. Hopefully someone else will see this and be able to help.

5. paul65

paul65 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    Quote:I had australorp chicks now pullets mine did not have the red barring but they did look simular. oh one other thing australorps have red combs that one has a very yellow comb.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  6. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    So even as chicks the australorp has a reddish comb? Hmmmm. I have 2 that look like the bottom one. So the top one is probably a roo?

With the reddish coloring on the tips of their wing feathers, I was leaning towards them being Sex Links, but I thought boy SL were different colors from girls to tell them apart. Which messes with the theory that the chick with the yellow comb is a boy. Ahhhh I'm so confused lol

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    They are a cute mix...maybe tht black beak could help you identify the dominate breed they are mixed with? Google search for black beaked chickens?

8. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    The difference between male and female Black Star (aka Black Sex Link) chicks is the male has the white spot on its head.

Found that while looking for pics. But if these are BSL then all 3 would have to be girls, cause none have white on their heads.

It is starting to look like the other 5 chicks that came in the box are 2 different colors of Easter Eggers. Could it be possible that these are black EEs? Maybe someone ordered an EE assortment, or breeds them and these were their extras? If thats what they are, then I could see that first one being a little roo.

Found this pic at Feathersite of a Black Ameraucana.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by