Any ideas...

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
I got these 3 little black chicks at auction, but dont know what they are or if all 3 are the same breed even.

They are all black down their backs except two rows of reddish bands on their wings. One has a yellow comb, and the other two have dark combs.

Pic_08Aug292008.jpg

Pic_07Aug292008.jpg

No idea on the breed, but at least you got one roo and one hen. Better than all roos. Cute little buggers. Hopefully someone else will see this and be able to help.

Quote:
I had australorp chicks now pullets mine did not have the red barring but they did look simular. oh one other thing australorps have red combs that one has a very yellow comb.

Last edited:
So even as chicks the australorp has a reddish comb? Hmmmm. I have 2 that look like the bottom one. So the top one is probably a roo?

With the reddish coloring on the tips of their wing feathers, I was leaning towards them being Sex Links, but I thought boy SL were different colors from girls to tell them apart. Which messes with the theory that the chick with the yellow comb is a boy. Ahhhh I'm so confused lol

The difference between male and female Black Star (aka Black Sex Link) chicks is the male has the white spot on its head.

Found that while looking for pics. But if these are BSL then all 3 would have to be girls, cause none have white on their heads.

It is starting to look like the other 5 chicks that came in the box are 2 different colors of Easter Eggers. Could it be possible that these are black EEs? Maybe someone ordered an EE assortment, or breeds them and these were their extras? If thats what they are, then I could see that first one being a little roo.

Found this pic at Feathersite of a Black Ameraucana.
Pic_01Aug302008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom