Any info about a Production Red???

abbychad

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 17, 2010
I went to our local feed store this morn, and they said they could order chicks for me. I asked about a Rhode Island Red, and he said he could get Production Reds?? Never heard of those before, but now that I read about em, Im not sure?? I want hens for laying eggs, but I read that they may be broody (which I dont' want) and they are aggressive?? Has anyone had any experience with Production Reds?? Any help would be appriciated... Oh, and this is my first time having chickens!!

Please correct me if I am giving mis-information

Production Reds often refers to a "production" strain of a RIR as opposed to a "show" strain.
It may also refer to a red sex-linked female that would technically be a cross-breed rather than a specific breed.

I wonder which the feed store would be ordering for you? I think probabaly the production strain of RIR.

Broodiness can be broken up.

Hens are usually mean only to each other, usually not to humans. But they may not be human-chummy either, if pet demeanor is what you are after.

I have production reds, they are great egg layers, i have 2 out of 60 that have gone broody but were easy to break .

My roos are not mean nor are my hens, they are friendly.

I highly recommend them for eggs.

A month ago, I bought a little girl from a dairy and egg farm. The proprietor of the farm called this little lady a "production red," which she bought because the breed was a superior egg layer. I believe she said that this little lady had a Rhode Island Red parent and a White Rock parent, though I don't remember which was the female and which was the male.

Well, I've had this little lady for a month now, and today, I went back and bought another identical hen.

Why?

Because she produces the highest quality egg I have ever eaten in my life. She is very docile and handles confinement very well. And talk about a consistant layer -- I got her on July 22'nd, and in the month I have had her, there is only one single day that she has not laid an egg. And she has been laying this regularly even though we have had alot of days where the heat index was over 110 degrees! She lays an egg with a shell about the same color as the wrapper of a Hershey bar.

We really had enough hens already, but I just HAD to get another of those production reds...

The best chicken ever for eggs and not aggressive or mean bird that I got is Black arstralorps!!!!!!!
jumpy.gif
In a test 1 hen layed 364 eggs in a 365 days. Thats pretty good talking about winter too. Look it up there the best and they have a green sheen on them like a beetle.
wee.gif
welcome-byc.gif
woot.gif

Production Reds are usually a cross of Rhode Island Red roo over New Hampshire hens. Notice I said usually, crossed the other way they are generally called Cherry Eggers. They are not usually known for being broody, but then again there are a lot of other breeds that are not suppose to be broody, but occainionally do go broody. If you are wanting them for egg production then I don't think you could go wrong.

I have a Production Red named Penny and she's my most docile chicken, coming when called, riding on my shoulder, etc. She regularly lays very large, pinkish-brown eggs. Based on my experience with her I highly recommend the breed.

There are two strains of Production Reds.
The first strain was bred solely from Rhode Island Reds with no outside blood introduced (Like the New Hampshire).. They just bred the R.I. Red more and more for egg production and lost all the other characteristics of the R.I. Red like body size, color, temperament etc.
The other strain is a R.I. Red with Leghorn blood introduced. This is the strain that was to be used to compete agents the R.I. Red in a ROP egg laying contests held in the North East.
Now there is a hatchery that says that there Production Reds are a R.I. Red / New Hampshire cross but to me that is not a Production Reds.

(Note ROP = Record of Performance)

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom