Any knitters or crocheters ever get trigger finger?

itsy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
New England
I have been knitting and crocheting about a scarf or shawl a day for a long time now as well as crocheting smaller items. About a month or so ago, I developed a "locking" in my right pinky. I didn't think it was my hobby until now. I went to the Dr. recently and while I was there I showed him my pinky. He says I have trigger finger! I'm only 30. I thought I had a few more years before my body started to do things like this. lol.

Anyone ever experience this?

Yup - mostly when I crochet, and especially making smaller items. Just make sure you take regular breaks and stretch your fingers and hands. I try to do it or take a break every 30 minutes. When I knit, it only do a few rows (or 1 block of the pattern) at a time. Then I do other things and come back and do some more. Frustrating, but basically a repetitive motion injury - like carpal tunnel for typers. Happens to the best of us
smile.png

When I was 22 and knitting for a couple of years, I developed pain in my fingers, wrists, and elbows. I went to the doctor and he told me I needed to take up a less dangerous hobby, like skydiving.
lol.png
Later we found out I have Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis. My pinkies lock up all the time.

Thanks for the comments, guys! ....Least I know I'm not alone! I think this started when I began to crochet small cat toys. Want to talk about TINY crochet? Imagine doing this ???? I found that the other day and couldn't believe it! I think my fingers would fall off. lol.

I should probably rest my hands but with the fall approaching.... I just can't!!!! Besides the fact that I just ordered more spinning fiber and handspun yarns.....

CrazyFowl....I'm sorry to hear about your ailments! Once upon a time, I was tested for Lupus as I got pleurisy in my left lung and also a racoon rash on my face. It came up negative, though. That was years ago...

Are you still able to knit?

Back
Top Bottom