Any knitters or crocheters ever get trigger finger?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by itsy, Aug 27, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I have been knitting and crocheting about a scarf or shawl a day for a long time now as well as crocheting smaller items. About a month or so ago, I developed a "locking" in my right pinky. I didn't think it was my hobby until now. I went to the Dr. recently and while I was there I showed him my pinky. He says I have trigger finger! I'm only 30. I thought I had a few more years before my body started to do things like this. lol.

Anyone ever experience this?

2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Yup - mostly when I crochet, and especially making smaller items. Just make sure you take regular breaks and stretch your fingers and hands. I try to do it or take a break every 30 minutes. When I knit, it only do a few rows (or 1 block of the pattern) at a time. Then I do other things and come back and do some more. Frustrating, but basically a repetitive motion injury - like carpal tunnel for typers. Happens to the best of us [​IMG]

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband had "trigger" finger, not from crocheting of course, and he had a very simple surgery done and it was perfect after that. It's been about 4 years ago now. [​IMG]

4. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    When I was 22 and knitting for a couple of years, I developed pain in my fingers, wrists, and elbows. I went to the doctor and he told me I needed to take up a less dangerous hobby, like skydiving. [​IMG] Later we found out I have Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis. My pinkies lock up all the time.

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thanks for the comments, guys! ....Least I know I'm not alone! I think this started when I began to crochet small cat toys. Want to talk about TINY crochet? Imagine doing this ???? I found that the other day and couldn't believe it! I think my fingers would fall off. lol.

I should probably rest my hands but with the fall approaching.... I just can't!!!! Besides the fact that I just ordered more spinning fiber and handspun yarns.....

CrazyFowl....I'm sorry to hear about your ailments! Once upon a time, I was tested for Lupus as I got pleurisy in my left lung and also a racoon rash on my face. It came up negative, though. That was years ago...

Are you still able to knit?

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Yup. My pinky will lock half closed and my thumb will lock across my palm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by