Any luck with double yolkers/twins?

The whole aircell? It’s an Olive egger so it’s hard to see through.
Might as well, they're no going to be able to pip, they aren't going to be able to position them selves to get out. you don't really have to worry about shrink wrapping, it'll be easier to do what you need to with it open.

maybe start at a spot where you know the aircell is. and once it's open you'll be able to see where the shell meets the inner membrane. use a wet qtip to make the inner membrane see through before you start making holes, avoid any veins.

(I've done several assists but never twins, I've never had to start an internal pip, so I'm really mostly guessing for the beginning. but the pointy end of the egg has huge blood veins so don't go messing down there before the aircell inner membrane veins are gone)

Ok, it’s the heart beating that I’m hearing. I got the aircell open and see the white formed around it. What next?

Has the chick made any attempt at breaking into the air cell. It's more than likely no where near ready to hatch, even if it has. I'd make a tiny hole in the air cell so that they have access to oxygen, then just leave them for quite awhile as the chick pips externally then usually sets about absorbing the remains of the yolk. If you interfere before the chick is ready to hatch then you will kill the chick. It's a real judgement call when to step in. Good luck! :fl

Has the chick made any attempt at breaking into the air cell. It's more than likely no where near ready to hatch, even if it has. I'd make a tiny hole in the air cell so that they have access to oxygen, then just leave them for quite awhile as the chick pips externally then usually sets about absorbing the remains of the yolk. If you interfere before the chick is ready to hatch then you will kill the chick. It's a real judgement call when to step in. Good luck! :fl
I’m a tad upset. I got into the aircell then to the first chick’s beak. Once I got the membrane open around it’s beak without busting any veins I can see there is some yolk left. It’s still breathing and heart still beating. I put it back in the bator and I don’t know if I should keep going????

No, it’s not attempting to get out at all.

I’m a tad upset. I got into the aircell then to the first chick’s beak. Once I got the membrane open around it’s beak without busting any veins I can see there is some yolk left. It’s still breathing and heart still beating. I put it back in the bator and I don’t know if I should keep going????

Were they due to hatch today? Leave it and see what happens. Make sure your humidity is nice and high - as high as you can get it with wet cloths and sponges etc. Just leave them be and hopefully they will do what they need to do, then be ready to enter the world. If the membrane starts to look dry (yellow) put vaseline or coconut oil on it with a Q-tip. Fingers crossed!

Were they due to hatch today? Leave it and see what happens. Make sure your humidity is nice and high - as high as you can get it with wet cloths and sponges etc. Just leave them be and hopefully they will do what they need to do, then be ready to enter the world. If the membrane starts to look dry (yellow) put vaseline or coconut oil on it with a Q-tip. Fingers crossed!
Yes, today is 21 days... Thank you for your help. I’m really sick about it. I am going to put some wet cloths in there. It’s kinda high already because it has a little bit of condensation on the bator

Yes, today is 21 days... Thank you for your help. I’m really sick about it. I am going to put some wet cloths in there. It’s kinda high already because it has a little bit of condensation on the bator

:hugsIt's bad enough wondering if you 'might' have to step in at some point. Even worse when you know at some point it's all on you (sorry, that probably makes you feel even worse - but you can do it)! I'd give them as much time as possible and hopefully they will start to get vocal when they are ready to start the hatching process. Talk to them lots so that they know someone is there waiting for them.

I've had quail pop out after 8 hours from the first external pip, and I've had some not be ready until at least 36 hours after they've externally pipped, so it's a waiting game to see when they are ready. Be prepared that they might take another 48 hours to be really ready. It's a miracle they've made it this far! Hopefully, with your help, they'll make it the rest of the way, but even if they don't you've done everything you could to give them a chance.

:hugsIt's bad enough wondering if you 'might' have to step in at some point. Even worse when you know at some point it's all on you (sorry, that probably makes you feel even worse - but you can do it)! I'd give them as much time as possible and hopefully they will start to get vocal when they are ready to start the hatching process. Talk to them lots so that they know someone is there waiting for them.

I've had quail pop out after 8 hours from the first external pip, and I've had some not be ready until at least 36 hours after they've externally pipped, so it's a waiting game to see when they are ready. Be prepared that they might take another 48 hours to be really ready. It's a miracle they've made it this far! Hopefully, with your help, they'll make it the rest of the way, but even if they don't you've done everything you could to give them a chance.
Thank you so much. I’m going to try to post a picture of him/her. I put a lil coconut oil on the membrane to keep it moist. It’s breathing and swallowing fine (I assume it’s swallowing the yolk I don’t really know) this is only my second hatch and my chickens are my babies so it’s breaking my heart. You can see the little bit of yolk on top of its head

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 51
Thank you so much. I’m going to try to post a picture of him/her. I put a lil coconut oil on the membrane to keep it moist. It’s breathing and swallowing fine (I assume it’s swallowing the yolk I don’t really know) this is only my second hatch and my chickens are my babies so it’s breaking my heart. You can see the little bit of yolk on top of its head

Yes, they will open and shut their beak as they are absorbing that yolk. This hatching thing can be heartbreaking I know! We've lost a few quail chicks and they are usually the ones the kids have chosen as their favourite!

Back
Top Bottom