Any luck with double yolkers/twins?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Muddyacreshomestead, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Muddyacreshomestead

Muddyacreshomestead In the Brooder

Feb 22, 2018
    Newport, North Carolina
    ive got what I am fairly certain is a double yolker. I’ll attach a picture but it’s huge, bigger than my duck eggs.

Has anyone had luck hatching twins and having both survive? I’m tempted to throw this one in the incubator and see what happens.

Duck egg on left, regular chicken egg on right.

Attached Files:

2. Laodicia

Laodicia Crowing

Jan 30, 2016
    Canada
    I've never set one. but assuming all goes well, they would need assistance to hatch.

Tiana's chickens likes this.
  3. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster Premium Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    It's possible but very rare. Most of the time there is not enough room or nutrients for them both. But on occasions they can hatch successfully. I agree that you should be ready to assist with hatching.

Laodicia and MillersFarm like this.
  4. Muddyacreshomestead

Feb 22, 2018
    Newport, North Carolina
    I’ve got no problems assisting. Have had to step in numerous times over the years, I’ve just never gotten a double before. I’m kind of excited

Rubysword and Laodicia like this.
  5. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster Premium Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    I'd be excited too. We've had double yolkers before but never knew that they were double until we cracked them. I would keep an eye on them by candeling them everyday.

Laodicia likes this.
  6. JaeG

JaeG Free Ranging Premium Member

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Generally one chick dies earlier on in the incubation period and ends up killing the other due to the bacteria build up as the dead chick starts to break down. Most people won't set double yolkers because of the risks. Better to fill that space in the incubator with an egg that has a better chance of hatching out a strong and healthy chick. If you do a search you should find quite a few threads documenting people's attempts to incubate double yolkers. I think one person did manage to hatch one surviving chick (can't remember if it was a duck or chicken though). :)

7. Exciting! Here's a video that I found interesting:

Be sure to put in more eggs so you're lil one(s) if he hatches, can have a friend
    If you do incubate it I's be very interested in the results.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    :goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

WVduckchick, Oisian, Kat C and 2 others like this.
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! best not to set double yolkers. Those that do set them are usually saddened when they die :(

10. Muddyacreshomestead

Feb 22, 2018
    Newport, North Carolina
    I think we will set it with a handful more just to see. I sell the majority of my hatching eggs and will only be hatching/keeping a few hens to rotate into the flock. I can’t in good faith sell it so we can try to hatch it and document what happens.

tomfromsc and Laodicia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by