Any luck with double yolkers/twins?

Pics

Muddyacreshomestead

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2018
Newport, North Carolina
ive got what I am fairly certain is a double yolker. I’ll attach a picture but it’s huge, bigger than my duck eggs.

Has anyone had luck hatching twins and having both survive? I’m tempted to throw this one in the incubator and see what happens.

Duck egg on left, regular chicken egg on right.

Attachments

• 8FA98D0F-1261-411F-BDB2-099518F7220C.jpeg
    8FA98D0F-1261-411F-BDB2-099518F7220C.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 77
ive got what I am fairly certain is a double yolker. I’ll attach a picture but it’s huge, bigger than my duck eggs.

Has anyone had luck hatching twins and having both survive? I’m tempted to throw this one in the incubator and see what happens.

I've never set one. but assuming all goes well, they would need assistance to hatch.

It's possible but very rare. Most of the time there is not enough room or nutrients for them both. But on occasions they can hatch successfully. I agree that you should be ready to assist with hatching.

Generally one chick dies earlier on in the incubation period and ends up killing the other due to the bacteria build up as the dead chick starts to break down. Most people won't set double yolkers because of the risks. Better to fill that space in the incubator with an egg that has a better chance of hatching out a strong and healthy chick. If you do a search you should find quite a few threads documenting people's attempts to incubate double yolkers. I think one person did manage to hatch one surviving chick (can't remember if it was a duck or chicken though). :)

Exciting! Here's a video that I found interesting:

Be sure to put in more eggs so you're lil one(s) if he hatches, can have a friend
If you do incubate it I's be very interested in the results.

Generally one chick dies earlier on in the incubation period and ends up killing the other due to the bacteria build up as the dead chick starts to break down. Most people won't set double yolkers because of the risks. Better to fill that space in the incubator with an egg that has a better chance of hatching out a strong and healthy chick. If you do a search you should find quite a few threads documenting people's attempts to incubate double yolkers. I think one person did manage to hatch one surviving chick (can't remember if it was a duck or chicken though). :)
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

Welcome to BYC! best not to set double yolkers. Those that do set them are usually saddened when they die :(

Back
Top Bottom