Any luck with double yolkers/twins?

Pics
If you incubate it, they will likely develop their notochord(the thing that allows for the perception of pain) before they die a painful death. I don't think that it would be ethical to incubate them with these odds.

I agree, I really don't think it's a good idea to have them go through the un-necessary pain and death, just to ease a person's own curiousity. :(

If you set a double yolker it won't hatch and if by some miracle 1 and a million chance it does survive to hatch day which will be like day 17 it won't survive the first hour of life with undeveloped lungs and if it does survive that every moment of it's life will be tough due size and health. From what I've read if you incubate double yolkers once you'll never try it again

At the very end of the video, you can see that the one on the left is breathing. The one on the right.... I can't tell... doesn't look good, the way it's curled up. But I agree, I wouldn't even try to hatch it. I wouldn't want to put them through what could be a painful death near the end or after hatching/being hatched. They might make it, as some seem to have had success, but it seems to bee such a small chance of survival that I think it would be better for the potential chicks' sake to leave it cold and let them just not develop to the point of consciousness. I have never tried to hatch eggs because I don't want the heartbreak (nor the 50% males ;))
I would like to hear from others who've had double yolk eggs like this what their decision was and if they tried to hatch them, what the result was.

Year before last I had a peahen laying double yolkers and for a brief moment I considered setting them. Hatching eggs under perfect conditions is stressfully enough, so why make it more stressful and less enjoyable? I will never set a double yolker because I want to enjoy hatching, not stress over something that has a poor chance of hatching.

Many people are giving negative opinions - just to avoid possible pain. Personally, if it were my decision I might prefer to err on the side of giving the embryos a chance. If life were only about never having pain, everyone and every animal would die extremely young. Life is about persevering while there is any chance at all.

Many people are giving negative opinions - just to avoid possible pain. Personally, if it were my decision I might prefer to err on the side of giving the embryos a chance. If life were only about never having pain, everyone and every animal would die extremely young. Life is about persevering while there is any chance at all.
My opinion is based on the many of my own heart-wrenching experiences and disappointments incubating and hatching *and* the hundreds of similar posts here on BYC.

Emotions aside, I think there is probably a genetic component to double yolkers, which is an undesirable trait for many reasons, so why would one want to produce more birds that might lay double yolkers?

Back
Top Bottom