Any meds for swollen hock?

buckaroogirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 27, 2013
Alberta
So I noticed yesterday my young silkie roo (roopert)limping. Grabbed him and notice one of his hocks is a bit swollen and hot compared to the other, he's hopping around like a crow. I was going to confine him but he seems to be confining himself. He follows his heram(sp?) around and then sits and watches them.

Is there anything I can give him as an anti inflammatory?

Do NOT give Tylenol. You can give aspirin at a rate of 25 mg per lb of body weight. This is approx. 1 baby aspirin per 3 lb of weight.

You can also use a regular strength 5 grain aspirin dissolved in 30 ml of water and administered at a dose of .5 ml per each 3 lb of body weight. I find the baby aspirin easier. I crush it between two spoons, carefully pour it into a needless 3 cc syringe, suck up a little water or buttermilk and give it that way. Just give it very slowly, a little at a time and let the bird swallow it. You do not want the bird to aspirate anything you give orally like this.

I give a 3-4 pound bird one baby aspirin twice a day this way. You could try treating him for a few days or a week then wean him off and see if he's improved.

Back
Top Bottom