Any members that are NPIP certified, I have questions.

MandyH

You'll shoot your eye out!
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
Elvis' birthplace......
I am getting NPIP certified next week and was just wondering for someone like myself that is very SMALL scale, what are the benefits. My main concern is the state or government being in my business. I believe the less they know about my business, the better. I just want to sell chicks and hatching eggs and was wondering what to do. Any helpful input or experiences?

MissPrissy just got certified last weekend.
smile.png

Assuming your birds all test negative you’ll be able to say you're NPIP certified-that's the benefit. Anyone who buys birds from someone who isn't is asking for a problem.
The NPIP program has been in place for decades. It presents no threat to your keeping a few chickens. IMO all the concern about various government programs planning to stop all backyard farming is pure paranoia.

Our Poultry Club encourages testing. What it is designed to do is prevent the spreading of 2 diseases that were wiping out mass number of poultry including spilling over to wild life such as turkeys, chickadees etc.
So, yes the government set this program up in the 1930's where back yard poultry people were tested so to bring in the act of improving for their own benefit along with the countries benefit. (Back when we tried to help not only ourselves but our neighbors too)
Granted the National Poultry Improvement Program (NPIP) has not encouraged other disease testing, which is a shame as now we have CRD running rampage. Getting back on track here, So, according to testers, if my birds have no chance at leaving my property, no showing, no sales or purchases (closed flock) then I do not have to have my birds tested.
But, because my flock is not leaving, and it is from NPIP stock, I can feel as secure that they probably do not have it.
Prevention is a big step in a healthy flock.
So the benefit to NPIP tested is that you can have a certificate showing you are up to the standards that clubs and other "farmers" decide to be at.
I want to be NPIP tested at some point as I'd like to show a couple of birds (if they ever hatch...counting chickens before they hatch...yeah.)
Those little letters NPIP are four letters that say "I'd buy from you".
Hope my rambling gave you my opinion- there are many opinions and its great to read them all! Or hear all sides of the thoughts.

I was going to get NPIP but have now decided against it.
If I have gone this long without needing them and am doing darn good then I think I can continue and I certainly can't stand the "officials" to know my business. Totally against NAIS and the info from NPIP is there for reference.
Yes, I am one of the paranoid. It's that same paranoia that won this country to begin with.

I'm NPIP certified and I really enjoyed the experience. The inspector that came was very knowledgeable and answered all my questions. I did not feel he was butting into my poultry hobby at all.

I did find out it's a dirty job with Mike Rowe experience and I do not want to become a tester
sickbyc.gif

Border, I am not sure, our poultry club tests only 10% of a flock for $10. I do not know if its that type of money if you are not a club member.
As for having a tester come out, its a positive thing, you are placed in a book with NPIP tested farms and those of us that have a book, if I need or want a RIR , for example, and I know your closest, tested then it means your surroundings are healthy, birds are at a good weight, and NPIP clean. I personally would be quicker to buy from you.
When the big scare came around in the 1980's re: Avian Influenza, the first thing they did was head for the commercial birds, then local birds from our back yards, then the wild life- sorta at the same time.
NAIS, I DO NOT LIKE THIS, but I can understand why the office folks wanted it in place, so that all can be tested and go from there if positive. Personally if yours or mine are positive, I'd like to know quickly and get this under control.
Like I said, please do not read into that last phrase that I want NAIS, I hate the thought of the government knowing my business too, but I can understand why the officials are trying to bring this in.
The NPIP program was in place early on when diseases ran wild and poverty was part of that situation. (of course this whole situation is personal and these are only my opinions!!)

I am a volunteer tester for NPIP here in Virginia. I am testing every bird on my property.

The things I learned at the workshop makes me even more sure EVERYONE that owns poultry and fowl should have their birds tested. It is a very easy test and due to this testing and staying on top of pullorum typhoid no one has to be afraid to eat eggs.

Salmonella poisoning in the food chain is very serious business. It passes from hen to egg and there is no way to prevent it from doing so. Infected flocks are a serious health risk to anyone eating any product from that flock.

Cost must vary from state to state-in NY it's free. testing is done by the State Dept of Agriculture.

Back
Top Bottom