Any minute now...maybe today!

jahphotogal

Chirping
7 Years
May 15, 2012
CT
28 week old Wyandottes haven't started laying.

I added a light to the coop 2 1/2 weeks ago.
They started squatting 1 week ago.
Today, one of them got into the nesting box for the first time, turned around a few times, and just hung out there.The others kept coming to look at her to see what she was doing.
I had to leave for work but can't WAIT to get home and see if anything is there - it feels like I've been waiting FOREVER!

I'm sure they'll begin any time now!

FYI, it's not a good idea to put a light on them, especially at this age. You really should let nature take its course. They'll begin laying when they are ready, whether you have light on them or not, since this is their first year.

Wynette, thank you for this. I've read so many conflicting things about lights - most people seem to think it's OK but I certainly don't want to do anything that harms them!

Good luck! Love Wyandottes!!!

ya.gif
wee.gif

I live in northwestern Wisconsin and I have found if I don't give my girls supplemental light they won't lay well, if at all, in the fall and through the winter. I've had chickens for many years and never had a problem or health complications due to the extra lights.

Yay for you! We just got our very first egg too from our Plymouth Rock who was 25 weeks and 4 days old. It was so hard being patient. Now to enjoy seeing them lay an egg every day. Yes, just like someone said; it's like coming home to a Corvette parked in the driveway!

Back
Top Bottom