Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaJean

Songster
12 Years
Sep 30, 2007
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Hi all,

I need some advice from a Mormon, or someone familiar with Mormons.

In my naivete, the other day I invited two nice young gentlemen over to speak with me on the coming Tuesday. Well, I now realize that they are Mormons, and they are coming over to talk Mormon to me.

While I have absolutely nothing against Mormonism, I myself am not ready to convert. I suspect that they are coming over to meet with me in an attempt to convert me.

The Mormons I have encountered in the past are extraordinarily kind people. I don't want to be rude, and I don't want to disappoint these young men. I feel like I led them on or something. But I am really not comfortable with the idea of talking about Mormonism with them.

So I pose the question to you all. What should I do? How can I politely explain to them that I'm not interested, without hurting their feelings?

All I know is that my mom has also had this experiance when she lived in bolivia her host family was visited by mormons the mormons were kindoff sneaky in the way they portrayed their religon and since my mom was the only one who spoke english she was the only one who understood what they were doing. she explained to her host mom and they were booted out of the village. I dont know how you would do it in a nice way mabe just tell them you relised that you are not ready to convert and that you are sorry I am sure they hear that often. (this is not a comment on mormons in general just a story my mom told me)

Henry

Last edited:
My grandmother is a morman of the later day saints which i think is a little bit differerent than the original morman sect. Most mormans or any religion for that matter do not want you to convert til you are ready to accept their faith. I would just tell them what you said here, that you are not ready to convert but am interested in talking to them about the religion.

I like to be doing yard work when they come around. If they want to talk to me they can pick up a shovel, rake, or whatever and work while they talk. Most turn tail and run but occasionaly you get some help on your yard!

hmm.png
I all most mistook the subject for "Any morons here?"
you wonder why i clicked it, and im here right now
hu.gif
lol

I'm not Mormon, I'm Presbyterian, so I am straying from the topic some. I just wanted to tell Lisa that she is a really nice person to accommodate the religion solicitation. I guess my redneck comes out when they bombard my neighborhood, which is often on a nice day (must be a bunch of noted heathens in this neighborhood!), and if inside, I don't answer the door, if outside, I go back in...and don't answer the door. But, in my opinion, I feel accosted to be out in my own yard or my own house (they ring the door bell insistently and my dog barks like a wild thing) and to have someone try to sell me vacuum cleaners, carpet cleaners, any other in the long list of sales items, or insist that the religion they have chosen is the one I need to practice. Sometimes they just leave a pamphlet and that is fine, but often they ring and knock for quite awhile. Sorry if this makes me unpopular on this forum but personally I prefer not to deal with neighborhood sales or witnessing...just my opinion...

Quote:
No, why would it make you unpopular, you have a right to choose with whom you speak on your property, unless its the cops and you did something naughty, like throwing eggs over a fence.
I also dont answer if im:-
1) on the phone
2) busy here with you guys.
3) Naked
4) guess!!
ep.gif

Lisa Jean, You will be fine, just try to tell the truth like you said it here, how did you come to invite them in the first place? good luck with it all.

Mormons in my experience are nice people, kinder than most, but some of the precepts of mormonism are unusual to say the least.

I guess you take the good with the bad.

I never got a lot of mormons in my area, its Jehovas Witness turf. I call religious solicitation spiritual imperialism btw. Never the less, being a spiritual person and also a free agent, I'm always inclined to listen to these people. I read their watchtower mags and assorted propaganda. There almost always something that makes me analyze my beliefs, and thats always good in my book. Faith is a chioce you make continually, its important to keep it relevent and up to date so you can continue to make the right desicion.

I dont know too many Mormons anymore but back in high school I used to have this concept of the few Mormon girls I knew (all 2 of them) marrying me .. LOL! .. musta been the 17 yr old hormones ...

Mark

Quote:
my former boss and his family are mormons, so i learned a lot about it. in general those folks who come by are not out to convert you, its more a discussion of your theology versus theirs. i generally find it less stressful than when jehovah's witness' come by. (no offense, i have a friend who's JW, its just not my thing.)

like everyone has said, its very kind of you to invite them over and certainly if they make you uncomfortable you should just ask them to leave.
smile.png

usually these folks are recent high school grads, the majority of mormon men (and more frequently women), take a year off before or during college to perform missionary work, which sometimes involves evangelizing their religion door to door.

in the spirit of Christmas, maybe it'd be nice to learn about another religion.

good luck to you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom