Any NZ quail raisers having egg no shows!?

KateRJacks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 13, 2014
Hi guys,

I'm in NZ, and wondering if there are other quail raisers here. I'm in Wellington, and my girls haven't laid in over a week. Normally they are pretty regular, after a bumpy start in December. As it's just coming into Autumn here I was wondering if this is why. Possibly it could be getting too chilly? Windy, or just not enough daylight? Are quail seasonal? I can't seem to find any info about this. I moved them to a sunnier spot, but it's getting pretty windy up here so perhaps I need to move them inside?

Thanks!

Kate

Hi Kate,

I'm in Auckland and my quail are still laying ok. One might miss the odd day, but they are inside so it's a little warmer and they do end up getting more light, artificial though it might be. I have read that they need a certain amount of daylight to lay and once the breeding season ends they will take a break. Some people use artificial light to keep them laying all year but I personally think they need a bit of a break. You could try moving them inside but a move would possibly throw them off laying for a bit anyway. It's probably a good idea to protect them as much as possible from the wind but as long as they have somewhere to shelter out of it they should be alright.

We do have four boys living outside and I have to say they have almost stopped crowing in the morning so their season must be coming to an end.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that JaeG,

Yes, with these shorter days they're not really getting enough light I guess! Hmmm, I've moved them to a sunnier and warmer spot so that may help...They have loads of shelter and seem happy pecking around so I may just leave them to do their thing and give them a break. Interesting that your males have stopped crowing. This makes me think that their season is coming to an end. You never know they may adapt! :)

Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom