How to breed Quails using chickens?

I

Im located in SA. I understand all of this as I did it many years ago when there were such things as electricity but what I'm wondering is how do you power the heat lamp so that it can turn on? I have one here from years ago but I just don't know how to get hold of electricity ever since everything fell apart just after the lockdown lol.
Ah. I understand. I have a friend down there and he's been telling me what it's like. The rocket stove will probably be your best option for heat and to get hot water. As for incubating, the chicken might be easier than trying to build an incubator without a steady heat source.

Keep us updated on how you're doing.

Ah. I understand. I have a friend down there and he's been telling me what it's like. The rocket stove will probably be your best option for heat and to get hot water. As for incubating, the chicken might be easier than trying to build an incubator without a steady heat source.

Keep us updated on how you're doing.
Ah that's awesome thanks for the advice, I will research that rocket stove also. These babies are doing well and I have managed to keep them alive using my body heat and the odd few minutes of sunshine that we sometimes get here per day.

I don't know how to encourage chicken hens to raise quail chicks.

However, I raised my chicken chicks without electricity by using a wool hen and hot water bottles. The posts where I got the information on wool hens did it without the hot water bottles.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wool-hen-or-wool-and-feather-hen-build.1463487/

Link to the post given above

This is my post about trying it. And has the addresses of the posts I learned from.

I didn't lose any chicks.
I don't know how different quail chicks might be.
Well so far my wool hen is working during the times when I am unable to hold the babies so thank you for this, it helps a lot.

I have heard of people using small breed chickens to hatch quail, but they usually end up in a brooder to grow. Chickens are likely to peck the poor little things to death. Even the smallest chicken is much larger than an adult quail.

I would recommend using an incubator and brooder.
Thank you, I was wondering if my smallest Bantams would do the job but now that I have read your comment I don't think I should risk it so thank you for that, I really appreciate it.

I used a phoenix hen and her own eggs to brood a quail egg. Her nest was too tall and small for it to get very far, but he also didn't wander much anyways. Once her chicks started wandering more, I moved them all into one of my broody boxes that mice couldn't get to until he was old enough to take away and put with some hens. She nor her chicks really noticed anything different. She just thought he was a dumb, runty chick.
This is so cute and funny ha ha thank you for this comment, I really appreciate it, and all the helpful advice and input I am getting here.

I'm glad your babies are doing well. They grow fast, so they will need less and less heat. They will be able to handle being completely fine as long as they have shelter by the time they're six weeks old. A small shelter will help them keep their body heat in and they'll be able to snuggle with each other by about 4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom