Any one else w/ a chicken treat drawer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Darlasmum, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    One of the drawers in my refrig is designated just for chicken treats. Currently it holds a brick of cheese(bought on sale), spinach, yogurt, grapes and crushed egg shell. Then theres the oatmeal in the pantry too.
    Any one else have a "hands off-- that's for the girls" section? [​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I do not currently have one, . . . but it sounds like a good idea to me! [​IMG]

3. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

not for the chickens but when my ex and I had our macaw I set aside a drawer for her [​IMG] so if your chickens are your pets, well . . . I totally understand them having their own fridge space [​IMG]

Unfortunatly when we split I let him keep the macaw. But I was being nice and didn't want to take away his only friend at that point. Altho I miss her terribly.

The chickens do however have some pantryspace in the form of flaxseed, oats, hempseeds, sunflower seeds and millet for treats, and I have planted their own lettuce in the garden.

4. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    I do now! last weekend my sister saw me fixing some yogurt with some Mueslie (can't spell it, ) and raisins and had herself a little taste when my back was turned (I am 49, sister is older) she said that was good could she have some, I told her to ask the girls! She thought it was really funny, but when I went to the fridge there was a sign, Girls Stuff. [​IMG]

5. terimay

terimay Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Not a whole drawer, but I do have a treat tupperware bowl in the refridgerator [​IMG] those spoiled chickens!!!

6. urban hen momma

urban hen momma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    OH... this is a good idea! I have been known to make trips to the store just to buy treats intended for the chicks... [​IMG]

7. JulieFS

JulieFS Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Freeport, Michigan
    Yep! I have one of those! The girls love it too! [​IMG]

8. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Actually, the entire fridge is fair game. DH doesn't eat anything before asking if it's ok. Between the chickens, the dogs, and the goats, I am considering a fridge in the barn for them! DH once ate homemade dog biscuits thinking they were oatmeal cookies. [​IMG] Now - he asks first!

9. ruchickn

ruchickn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    I don't have a drawer but I do have dry mealworms for them .[​IMG]

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

LOL - glad to hear there are others out there like me! I buy water melon, canteloupe, and grapes (when on sale) especially for my birds...lol. I also buy them generic raisins and the big round tubs of Kroger oatmeal...oh...and plain yogurt [​IMG] They don't have their own drawer in the fridge, but they do have their own section on my grocery list [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by