1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any one have box turtles>

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cgjsmith, Jun 24, 2008.

1. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    We had a little one (about 4 inches) brought to us. We put it in an aquarium with cocunut substreight in it (stuff for hermit crabs) Put a water dish and some variaty of food (cantalope, cucumber zuccini and wet dog food) in it and a heating pad underneaith. And a box. Now it won't come out of the corner. I don't want it to die on us but we would love to have a turtle around (that doesn't go after my chicks) Any suggestions? Even with the heating pads the aqarium still registers as 77 degrees. What else can I do? Crystal

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I would release it back into the wild IMHO. Better to let it go then feel badly because it died in your home.

If you are insistent on keeping it, you will need to start googling Box Turtles and READ READ READ and find out exactly what kind you have, what kind of space, heat, food and other requirements it NEEDS and be prepared to meet them. Box turtles in the wild have a very large territory. Miles wide. I wouldn't keep a wild one..... maybe a captive bred turtle since it has never been in the wild. But, I decided years ago, after having owned many different types of turtles as a child, that they were better off in the wild. I always released mine in late summer so they could find a place to settle down for winter.

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

They're native to Middle Tennessee. Maybe releasing would be the right thing to do.

It shouldn't need a heating pad if it is indoors. Try some leaf lettuce.

4. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    When you look at the skin on the shoulder and/or tail area does it look healthy, or dried out and wrinkly? If the skin looks ok, set the little thing free. If it's shriveled and wrinkly, you need to try to hydrate it before you set it free. Try feeding juicy fruits like watermelon and strawberries (or any berries). Very young box turtles eat insects, so you might try a mealworm or fly. If it won't eat, just take it to a safe place and let it go.

5. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    I agree with releasing it, IF it was recently removed from the wild and IF you can take it back where it was found. Otherwise, I might not be so quick to release it. What were it's circumstances before it was brought to you? But, you do need to do a lot of research into box turtle needs before you decide to keep it yourself. They have very exacting requirements and really are best kept outdoors if they are native or adapted to the area where you live.

6. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Ok well I have had turtles, box turtles and a few tortoises in my days. Well first off. what are your temps? Outdoor? Sunny? What I would do is keep the tank 1/4 in the sun. Make sure there is LOTs of shade however. Get a few worms. Feed it that too. It will come out after a while. It needs to warm up top its enviroment. Give it a samll misting. Be sure it has water. Daytime Air Temperature: 75-85┬░BaskingTemperature: 85-90┬░
    Humidity: 60 - 80%

Contact me if you need more help. I owned these babies for a LONG time

Releasing it is against the law in most states, unless it was captured.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, I take it that when they say "Brought to us" that they are referring to someone who found a "baby" box turtle and decided to "rescue" it. But, of course, there's always that chance that someone had a pet or purchased or bred one and needed to rehome it... but I'm guessing probably not or they would have passed on everything they knew and it would be used to this kind of confinement.

But, that is a good and important point..... you should NEVER release any animal into the wild that did not come from it! This is how ecosystems get completely out of whack and feral wildlife wrecks havoc on local flora and fauna.

8. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I don't know about Tennesee but in Pennsylvania its illegal to take a box turtle out of the wild.

9. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    Turtles naturally carry salmonella in their digestive tracts. Be sure to wash your hands after handling one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by