Any one have some nice pitbulls

We've currently a rescue boy, dumped in our yard in December. He's a sweetheart. He's a juvenille, about 8 months now. So his ultimate temperament is still a question. They do NOT mature into their adult temperament until between two or three and at that point you generally find out what level, if any of dog or animal aggression they will have.

We've fostered, reared and placed, and I've worked with owners and in shelters with pits. Some are good single dog pets, some will be okay in multi-dog, multi-animal homes but you do not know for sure until the dog is mature and cannot just assume because you treat it properly that it will not be dog or animal aggressive. You cannot hug away genetic potential for aggression. It's there or it isn't and all the hugs and training in the world won't do a bit of good if it's there.

Many make excellent pets for responsible and thoughtful owners who do exercise, train and pay attention to their needs.

Many people who don't understand gene based aggression are badly surprised when sweet puppy matures into a dog that will not tolerate others.

Anticipate that a pitbull will be a "one dog home" dog, and things go smoothly. Unfortunately many pits do lose their homes when they mature, because they do mature into dog or animal aggression.

Awww, are you really sure you want pics? OK, if I must (I love showing my girls to everyone). Here they are -

P2050022.jpg

P1040005-1-1.jpg

P1130008.jpg

Maggie is the speckle-face girl with sesame and chocolate brindle, she is 2 now and Moxie, the smaller dark brindle is 28 months. Maggie was left outside an apartment building in Hartford, CT during November at 5 wks. old. The week they found her it was 18 degrees out. She shouldn't have been away from her mum's side until at least 8 wks. Moxie was confiscated by the ASPCA along with her 4 siblings - they had lived on cat litter and poops for most of their 6 weeks.

I will say, although you asked for pics and not my opinion
hmm.png
These are dogs that need to be socialized from an early age with other dogs, humans (adults and children) and cats (if they will be in the house). Please, do the research - they can be the most amazing, loyal, bright and quirky companions - but the fact that they are "terriers" can create overly protective behaviors, digging and chasing. Fairness in discipline is extremely important with this breed, (others also), however, it is a different level of responsibility to be an AmStaf or Bull Terrier owner.

I really think I want a pit bull, but I just got a mastiff. I wanted a dog that was a good family dog yet protective. Unfortunately, I think my mastiff would give up the kids for a twinkie. I didn't realize before I got my dog how much I enjoyed walking. Unfortunately, my dog doesn't walk. He most strolls and at very leisurely pace. My next dog will be a pit.

Back
Top Bottom