Any one know duck breeds?

MallardDuckling

Songster
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Montgomery County, Ohio
Saturday I went fishing on a lake. I saw the cutest duck that I have never seen before.

It was small, a tad smaller than a Mallard. It looked blueish/grayish to me, but I could be wrong. It had a light colored beak.
I live in Ohio and have NEVER seen one like this in my whole life. I don't know if it was someones pet or what.

I've been trying to go through breeds of ducks to see if I could find what it was, but have yet to find a picture of the bird I saw.

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
Mallards only weigh 3 pounds or less. If it was small and looked like a mallard, it was probably a Mallard.

Other than that, without a photo, there is nothing anyone can do for you. If you go back, try to get a picture of it.

MallardDuckling

Songster
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Montgomery County, Ohio

This is what it kinda looked like. The above duck is a Call duck.
The one I saw wasn't as plump or had a black head. It look like it had a blueish tint to it. This is about the closest duck I have found to the one I saw. Who knows, maybe the one I saw was a mule. I'll take a picture of it Friday if I go out there and it's still out and about. It was there when we arrived, but when we were bringing the boat into the dock it was gone.

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
It almost sounds like you are describing a Loon. Do a google for loon and see if the pictures look like what you saw.

Also, look up "mud hen" or American Coot.

Top Bottom